Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceased Client

Panthers
Level 2

If a client died in 2020 , they  will not be entitled to EIP 2 on line #19 (Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet)

what do enter on line #19? I would assume either $600.00 or $1,200.00 to reconcile the form.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Are you sure if they died in 2020 theyre not entitled to the credit?
I can see if someone died in 2018 or 2019 they wouldnt be entitled to a 2020 credit....but if they had income in 2020 and are filing a 2020 return, seems like they would be entitled just like anyone else in 2020.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

From the Draft Instructions:

Generally, you are eligible to claim the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number. This includes someone who died in 2020, if you are preparing a return for that person.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf#page=58

Accountant-Man
Level 12

I agree with TGB, but if you want to know how to prevent a 2020 credit if you truly believe they don't deserve one-- enter the full amount as if they already got it.

Done.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers