Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATE OF DECEDENTS DEATH

AMWCPA
Level 1

WHEN COMPLETING A FINAL FORM 1040 FOR A DECEDENT DO YOU THE CALENDAR YEAR

OR DATE OF DEATH SAY 8.4.2019-12.3

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
9 Replies 9
qbteachmt
Level 15

A person dies on One Date. Not in a date range.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 14

Nice try, considering the question makes no sense.  

Accountant-Man
Level 11

A person has only one kind of 1040, all of it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Terry53029
Level 11
Level 11

@AMWCPA  are you asking if you file a short tax year, the answer is no for an individual. Could you give more details to your question (as @TaxGuyBill   said, "no charge for extra words") 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"if you file a short tax year"

Oooh, good mind-reading attempt.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Terry53029
Level 11
Level 11

been getting lessons from @IRonMaN  😁 

IRonMaN
Level 15

The next virtual mind reading is going to be scheduled for............................ never mind ----------------- for anybody that has been attending for this long, they should just know when the next class is.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)
BobKamman
Level 14

Treasury Regulations § 1.443-1

(a) Returns for short period. A return for a short period, that is, for a taxable year consisting of a period of less than 12 months, shall be made under any of the following circumstances: . . .

(2) Taxpayer not in existence for entire taxable year. If a taxpayer is not in existence for the entire taxable year, a return is required for the short period during which the taxpayer was in existence.. . .Although the return of a decedent is a return for the short period beginning with the first day of his last taxable year and ending with the date of his death, the filing of a return and the payment of tax for a decedent may be made as though the decedent had lived throughout his last taxable year.

IRS used to accept returns filed before the end of the year for a decedent's final return.  I think they still do, but it confuses them.  You have to use the previous year's forms.  If someone dies in March and the survivors don't want to wait a year to settle the estate, it's an option, especially if there is no tax owed or a small balance due.  

taxea96786
Level 5

You file a return for the year the client died and input his date of death. If he died in 2019 you don't do a 2020 return.

0 Cheers