Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

date of death

jkrile
Level 1

I'm trying to enter a date of death of 4/4/20 and keep getting an error that says "taxpayer death should not be after 4/2/20".  I did an update and it still didn't work. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

what do you have as the date of birth?  (and this is at the top of the fed info worksheet, right?)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jkrile
Level 1

dob is 11/9/1924 and yes

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Seems to work for me...maybe try deleting the DOB and the DOD and retype them both in again?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

From what I've read in the past, you may need to wait a week until until puts out the next update.  For some reason, sometimes the program has a fit until it has an update dated AFTER the date of death.

You can also try to 'refresh' the updates to see if that will help.

philchavez
Level 2

In my case, taxpayer died 4/10/2020, and I'm trying to file taxpayer's joint 2019 return. I entered date of death "4/10/2020" in Part 1 of Federal Information Worksheet (Part 1). I'm getting an error message "Taxpayer date of death should not be after 03-06-2020". After refreshing the latest software update, the update status is "current" for 2019 Form 1040.  

Based on your comment, I'm assuming I'll have to wait until the 2019 Form 1040 software is updated once again after 4/10/2020. I'm wondering how its possible that this software needs to be updated as of the date of this post (4/18/2020). I imagine millions of taxpayers have already filed 2019 Form 1040 electronically? If that is the case, the likelihood of another update for this form is probably nil. I'll have to call tech support to figure out what's going on with my software.

Thanks for your post. It was helpful.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Put in 3/6/20, and add a footnote.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
philchavez
Level 2

Thank you AccountantMan. For your reply. I’ll give that a shot and let you know if I can eFile the return. Really appreciate how you all respond to questions from ProSeries users like me.

philchavez

D man
Level 1

Wouldn't you add this date of death on next years filing?

0 Cheers
philchavez
Level 2

D Man...I think you need to enter date of death for one of the spouses, because only one spouse to sign This prior year return. The space for the deceased spouse’s signature is filled in with:

”Filing as surviving spouse”

also the following text is shown at the top of page 1 of Form 1040 (for prior year):

”DECEASED {taxpayer name} 04/10/2020”

0 Cheers
philchavez
Level 2

To end this chain...I contacted and spoke to ProSeries technical support this morning. After ruling out many other options, we ended up uninstalling the 1040 program (not CA or another state I also do) and reinstalled 1040 again. Problem solved. I was allowed to enter “4/10/20” as DofD without the error message and the update status of form 1040 was in fact current and finally gave me the green light to eFile. The tax return disclosures (described above) were made on Form 1040. Kudos to the patient tech rep at ProSeries for helping me. Thanks to her and our community support team for making it possible for me to get my foot in the door and tackle this problem.