Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom view in homebase for a special status in 2020

Level 7

How do I set up a custom view in homebase for a special client status in 2020 just like I did in 2019. Not liking the new homebase design

Labels (1)
14 Replies 14
Level 15
Level 15

I fiddled with it yesterday, not loving it either.

Homebase > Add/Edit Custom Views

I created one with just my client names and invoice amount (I didnt see the choice for the 2020 invoice amount, only prior years, so I hope that gets fixed)

Looks like you cant take a new view you've created and then edit it again, you have to start back with the default view to create new ones.

Feels clunky to me, but I'm kinda old and kind of stuck in my ways.....I'll adapt Im sure.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 7

"I created one with just my client names and invoice amount (I didnt see the choice for the 2020 invoice amount, only prior years, so I hope that gets fixed)"

You have to use Total Fees for 2020 fees

Level 15
Level 15
Ahhh, ok. No 2020 in front of the description, had to scroll down down down to find it.

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Did you notice the filter, that allows you to quickly find columns?

2020-11-25_09-07-25.png

Creating new views from a custom view is a good idea. I'll see what we can do.

Any other suggestions to make it less clunky?

[Background for change]

We've wrapped up a 3 year initiative to migrate to a modern database technology (away from one from a company that went out of business years ago). In the process we had to rewrite dependent experiences like homebase & custom view management, using modern Microsoft Technology. That comes with benefits, and drawbacks. We appreciate your thoughtful feedback so that we can continue to iterate on improving the experience.

There will be more of that for TY21.. hopefully we can work with Austin and team to get very early access to get very early feedback on changes.

Level 15
Level 15
I think it just feels clunky because it's new....some of us old dogs take a little time to learn new tricks 😉

Level 7

Yes but in 2019 you could make a custom homebase for any item in client status(like organizer sent, appointment scheduled, ready to efile, etc, etc. I sure would like this option back. Thanks

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Acknowledged and I agree. I'll see what I can do. It might not be til the early January release.

0 Cheers
Level 3

Well, this is a small item, but when I print Homebase, the numbering system isn't there anymore. I used that!

Employee
Employee

I'll see what we can do.  Thank you for posting.

Level 11

Not liking it either. I always set up my own views, since I use dates received, delivered, and need info columns only. Eliminating unused ones is clunky. 

In order to set up or later change the special view, you have to go back to the default view for that return type, click the menu to filter it, then the set up window pops up and you can go to the special view to add or remove columns. 

Too many more clicks, it will take getting used to. 

If you change column widths by dragging, use F5 to reset and save the new widths. I think that is working. 

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the feedback. We'll keep iterating.

A few things that might make it a bit more tolerable:

- You can edit any view directly by clicking the gear icon in the first column

- You can use drag and drop to remove & reorder columns. Unfortunately right now it's only individual columns, but I'll see if we can enable selecting multiple.

launch.gif

2020-11-25_12-25-52.gif

0 Cheers

Agreed - new home base design is awful. But, it's the Intuit way. "Let's change our software interface as often as we can so that we can look edgy even though everything works just fine the way it is. It's better to make the change so that our customers will have to retrain their employees."

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

I understand the feedback. I've been looking at this message from Microsoft for a few weeks thinking the exact same thing. It works fine, I don't want it to change... i don't even want to try it.

2020-11-26_07-20-34.png

The thing is, time marches on.  Outlook and ProSeries are not stand alone programs that would be fine forever if we didn't touch them. They depend on hundreds of libraries and dozens of companies that churn out new stuff and obsolete or break the old stuff. For example, Microsoft alone has introduced about 5 different UI technologies over the years, with each one having different paradigms to go along with changes in their operating systems. We have to change with them, for cost, resource and risk reasons. Along the way, we also end up having to swap out stuff from companies that went out of business. That also introduces change, and it's not economically feasible to go back and get these new things to look and act the same as always. It's also not want new customers expect. 

That all being said, we strive for a balance and appreciate the constructive feedback and suggestions so that we can keep iterating. My favorite suggestion is to just transfer the custom views year over year (hopefully next year you won't even need to launch the custom view wizard).  I understand many people have suggested that many times over the years.. but i look forward to seeing if we can implement that change for TY20->TY21 transfer. 

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Throwing ideas around..

1. This is probably not officially supported (yet), but it looks like you can setup TY20 custom views on one machine and share them on others.  Just copy C:\ProWin20\HomeBase\CustomViews.xml to whatever other machines you have. You could also share across the community or we can include a library of choices. If you want to try it,

2. I think we could write a utility to help transfer TY19 custom views to TY20. You'd have to export each View in TY19, then run a utility to import them into TY20.  Would that be useful?

3 & 4. I've prototyped Cloning and MultiSelection. That might help some. For cloning would you want to clone views across Form Types?  For example take a 1040 custom view and clone it as a 1041 view?

2020-11-27_11-17-21-1-1.gif

0 Cheers