Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 Stimulus Payments

LPTaxServices
Level 2

I have a couple of clients who are 23 years old, work and going to school full time. They provide over 50% of their own support and do not live with their parents.

When filing the 2020 tax return, I showed they did not get either of the two COVID-19 payments in 2020, but the IRS is changing the return to remove the credit. They were a dependent in 2019, but since they are in graduate class, they no longer rely on their parents for support.

Is there a way to make the IRS understand this and get them the two payments? Will they also qualify for the 2021 $1400 payment?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its an Intuit bug, the return itself didnt change, right?

Just disregard the popup.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So they got an IRS letter telling them that IRS changed their return? Or are you getting the erroneous Intuit popup showing that the RRC had been disallowed?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/proseries-2020-produce...

LPTaxServices
Level 2

Lisa,

Thank you for this quick response. I am getting the annoying pop-up from the Proseries program. When I run the client analyzer it shows that the return has changed. Should I tell them to wait to see if the IRS changes the return? One of them owes money and would like to pay as soon as possible, but this will cause an increase in amount due of $1800.

Thanks for being here for us.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its an Intuit bug, the return itself didnt change, right?

Just disregard the popup.