Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer tax credit story

PATAX
Level 15

Had a client come in this year who got the solar energy credit which is quite substantial, lucky for him he had enough income and tax withheld to receive almost the full credit, remainder being carried forward... Years ago I had a client purchase a hybrid vehicle .... He came in all happy like Mister Rogers , and told me right off the bat he was going to get this huge credit... I told him oh yeah, how are you going to get the credit when you are retired and you usually receive a full refund each year from the little bit amount of pension withholding... After I finished the return sure enough he didn't get one penny from it .... He told me I was wrong, and that the salesman told him he was going to get this nice credit.... He never did come back after that year , which I could care less.. Sometimes it is better to say good riddance...

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't make everybody happy -------------------- we just prepare returns based on what the client gives us ------------------ they need to pay a lot extra if they want to hire a miracle worker.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't make everybody happy -------------------- we just prepare returns based on what the client gives us ------------------ they need to pay a lot extra if they want to hire a miracle worker.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

👍 Iron Man ..... Maybe some of these salesmen who make promises should be the ones preparing the tax returns and if the client doesn't get what they were promised maybe the salesman should refund the amount... Don't hold your breath.. just my opinion as a humble nerd🤓🐕

BobKamman
Level 15

It's the fault of Intuit, really.  The organizer should practice preventive error checks.  A question like, "Are you thinking of doing something stupid this year, like spending $30,000 on a solar generator that cost $15,000 before the government offered a $10,000 tax credit that you can't use anyway because your tax is already practically nothing?"

ljr
Level 8

and add to the story that they only are thinking of staying in the house another couple of years and then moving out of state. Then explain that you will not make back the $30K in energy savings in 2 years. Oh and then are you going to want to put solar in the new house? Got another $30K floating around.

BobKamman
Level 15

In many places these days you can sell a house with any defects, but for most people (and mortgage companies) the solar installation is a non-starter.  Sort of like a swimming pool.  Half the potential buyers will avoid it, and the other half and their appraisers will give you 50% of what you paid for it.