Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients received 2018 1099-G for Tax Year 2017 @ $2,178.88 we submitted in 2017 1099-G @ $2,094. Can anyone explain why there is difference current 2018 and 2017?I

Payzerotaxes
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

The state changed the return for something?  Did the client get a notice of the change?  Or, did the software get updated between when you prepared the return and it was transmitted?  What does your 2017 software now show for the refund.  I assume when you say 2017 1099G you mean the 2017 state refund?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
sjrcpa
Level 15
Below the sort of cryptic question you posed, there is plenty of room to add more info.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

The state changed the return for something?  Did the client get a notice of the change?  Or, did the software get updated between when you prepared the return and it was transmitted?  What does your 2017 software now show for the refund.  I assume when you say 2017 1099G you mean the 2017 state refund?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Payzerotaxes
Level 1
Thanks for your response.  As you know Proseries will carry forward the information from the previous year.  The 1099-G for Unemployment total for the 2017 was $2414 but when I opened Proseries for the 2018 Tax Yr., the 1099-G for this client, carry forward amount showed $2094,  Each year in the past, the amount from the previous year automatically carried forward the amount from the previous year.  What really confuses me is that my client received a 2018 1099-G from CA that indicates the following: box 2 $2,178.88 and box 3 tax year (2017).  Why isn't $2414 showing on the 1099-G for 2018?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
$2178.88 is an odd amount for a refund on a 1099G

You can go to the Federal carryover worksheet (scroll to near the bottom) to make an adjustment if the amount carried over from last year is wrong.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You understand the unemployment and state tax refunds are reported on the same type of 1099g form but are completely separate things, right?

0 Cheers
Payzerotaxes
Level 1
yes I understand they are different, gong to take your advice and make the adjustment
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"why there is difference current 2018 and 2017?"

The refunds were different amounts each year?

0 Cheers
Payzerotaxes
Level 1
Lisa, thank you so much for your time, I am going to override the amount and put what the 1099-G says for State Income Tax.  Have a wonderful day.  I was reading some notes, and apparently this has happened before.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

If your client pays zero taxes, I don't see any way the two numbers can be different.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7
i am a bit confused--you said they received UNEMPLOYMENT on a 1099-G in prior year(2017)--why would that change. i think maybe your are confusing 1099-G's -- unemployment and refunds?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
its a confusing post, I agree

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
An anvil a day will clear that right up for you  :hurtrealbad::hurtrealbad:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Payzerotaxes
Level 1
it is confusing but thank you very much for looking at this post, I am taking your advice for the Advil and making the adjustment by overriding the figure
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@Payzerotaxes You had best not override a state tax refund and not report the Unemployment that is on the form.
I think you may be mixing up boxes 1 and 2.
I don't think your zero tax clients will really like the CP2000 that might be generated.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers