Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client's old bank account number on return

boobet
Level 3

My client told me to use the bank account number on file and she later realized that it was an old account.  How can she get her refund or will she be able to retrieve it?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one of those earlier this season, check arrived just about 3 weeks after the direct deposit was supposed to happen....so theyre looking at 4-5 weeks for the refund check to arrive....hopefully the address on the return is current.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

The normal process is for the IRS to send out a check if the account information doesn't match up.  Although someone said that you might me able to correct the account information if you call the IRS, but I don't have what phone number you would use for that.  Also, that route is going to depend on the timing on where the refund process is at in their system.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

I read on another forum that if direct deposit does not go through that IRS will mail check.

JRC
Level 8

Needed lots of patience here to wait for refund in the mail.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Try where’s my refund for status. It’s fairly accurate 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one of those earlier this season, check arrived just about 3 weeks after the direct deposit was supposed to happen....so theyre looking at 4-5 weeks for the refund check to arrive....hopefully the address on the return is current.

PATAX
Level 15

Good point there about the address. If they have moved and the address on the return was the old address, then the post office may not forward it to the new address and return it to the IRS. Then it will take longer to get the refund. If I am wrong about this then please let me know.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

USPS wont forward a refund check.

Where My Refund didn't show that the check had been sent, it was still showing the direct deposit date and the client already had the check in his hand.