Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client's efiled return rejected due to IP PIN that doesn't match IRS database

nytcpa2012
Level 4

Efiled federal return being rejected  (ERROR IND-180-01) saying primary taxpayer's IPPIN doesn't match the efile database.  I have checked that it was entered properly three times, and efiled it twice.  Taxpayer and spouse also sent me copies of their letters from the IRS and those numbers match the entries I made.  The numbers provided say they are for the 2021 tax returns, which is what I'm doing.  I know it is for the right year, and they have not moved.  Their address is the same as their 2019-20 tax returns.

I can't get through to the IRS or to the Taxpayer Advocates Office.  Other than filing by mail, are there any other options I have?

18 Comments 18
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You're using the IPPIN that was issued in 2022?  The ones for 2021 wont work, you need the most recent one that was issued in 2022.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
nytcpa2012
Level 4

no. their letter from the IRS says these are the 2021 IP PIN's.  They didn't have any for years before that either.

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

also, I've not had any problems with any other client's IP PIN entries, and their letters said the same thing....that these were their 2021 IP PINs

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
whats the date on the letter? Was it issued in 2022 or 2021?

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

I knew you were gonna ask that; the photos they sent me of the letters doesn't show the whole page.  I'll ask them. I'll let you know what they say!

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

client says there is no date on the letters.  however, they applied for the IP PINs in August 2021. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The ones clients bring me have a Notice date up in the top right corner.

IPPINs issued IN 2021 can only be used on returns EFiled in 2021, regardless of the tax year youre EFiling.

Have they tried the steps on the IRS website to retrieve it? Just to double check that it matches the one in the letter.
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

absolutely. they checked the irs.gov page where they could retrieve their IP PINs and those were the same numbers.

0 Cheers
Abhilash Jossy
Level 3

How long would it take to receive a new IP PIN ?

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

you probably wouldn't be able to get a new IPPin# for 2021 regardless, if there is already one in the IRS database.  HOWEVER, after much searching, I learned that when more than one of my clients got the message that their IPPin# didn't match the one in the IRS' database, it turned out that (despite the IRS letter to the contrary), there was NO IPPin# in their database!  When I removed all the numbers and efiled without any in that field, they went through just fine.  So, try that!  NOTE: I still disagree with the comments from someone replying from Intuit concerning that what matters was when the letter is dated.  That was not my experience, and I had NO PROBLEMS filing IPPin#'s in letters dated in 2021 when I filed a number of 2021 returns in 2022.  It really makes no sense that it would be otherwise, since virtually no one can file their return before the end of the same year!

Abhilash Jossy
Level 3

Thank you so much! Grateful for your response.

mark28321
Level 2

I have this same error code. I'm trying to e-file an amended 2020 return. The PINs are the ones used for the 2020 returns as originally filed. Do I need to put in the ones issued for 2022 instead?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@mark28321 wrote:

I have this same error code. I'm trying to e-file an amended 2020 return. The PINs are the ones used for the 2020 returns as originally filed. Do I need to put in the ones issued for 2022 instead?

Yes.  They expire each year so you need to use the "current" PINs.

nytcpa2012
Level 4

I discovered I was getting this error message when the IRS database didn't have ANY IP PIN on file at all.  If that's the case, the original 2020 probably didn't have an IP PIN# assigned yet.  Your client may be able to tell you what the first year was that they received a letter from the IRS about this.  OR,, you could try efiling without any and see if it gets rejected.  If it does, the irs.gov website should tell you about IP PINs for amended returns and which year to use..

I'm not a ProSeries expert....just another user, so if you still don't find the answer you need, try to get one of the experts in this community.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

anytime an IP PIN has been issued, you use the most recent one for filing returns, so ANY returns filed in 2023 use the IPPIN issued in 2023, regardless which tax year is being filed.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If at first you don’t succeed…..paper file

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
mark28321
Level 2

Thank you all for your replies. It didn't occur to me to change to the current year PINs until I read these posts. I will try that. And I can file paper, of course, but it's just easier with tax due to file it all electronically. The S-corporation amended return went through fine. It's just the individual. Thanks again.

0 Cheers
nytcpa2012
Level 4

plus it takes SOOOO much longer to get a refund when paper filing...........

0 Cheers