Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client received a 1099Q for ...

mcd1231
Level 4

Good morning:

My client received a 1099Q for a distribution for his Granddaughter's (the beneficiary) from a state 529 plan he contributed to.  The Gross distribution was $17,000,earnings $6,132 and basis $10,867.

I input this information on the 1099Q worksheet.  I checked the box beneficiary was some else and checked my client (taxpayer) was the recipient.  Also on this worksheet I double clicked the line which said "If the designated beneficiary is someone else, double click to link this 1099Q to the applicable Qualified education exp worksheet". Do I have to find out next what her expenses were in order for the $6,132 not to be taxable to my client? 

Thank you in advance for your help.   

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You should find a link to the Other Student Expenses worksheet at the bottom of the 1099Q worksheet, you can enter the granddaughters info and school expenses there.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Yes, you also need to put her name and SS on the education expense worksheet