Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client paid 2018 college tuition end of 2017, Form 1098-T received was blank. Can I adjust Form 1098-T?

grossie
Level 5

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You can use the amount actually paid during the year for purposes of calculating the education credits.

If you are preparing the 2018 tax return and nothing was paid in 2018, the 1098-T seems to be correct because $0 was paid.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You can use the amount actually paid during the year for purposes of calculating the education credits.

If you are preparing the 2018 tax return and nothing was paid in 2018, the 1098-T seems to be correct because $0 was paid.

grossie
Level 5
TaxGuyBill, Yes, nothing was paid in 2018; but, $ 8,000 was paid in late 2017 for Jan 2018 semester.   I never encountered this situation.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
If it was paid in 2017, then the $8000 could be used on the 2017 tax return, not the 2018 tax return.
grossie
Level 5
Thanks you, Bill
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
You are welcome.
0 Cheers
Sashaa
Level 2

I have a situation similar to this stream where my client has a 2019 1098-T with $0.00 in Box 1 and $34,563.00 in Box 5.  She paid $35,101.00 in tuition in late December 2018, and received the scholarship in Jan 2019.  She did not have a filing requirement in 2018.  in 2019, she also had a job, so has a filing requirement in addition to the scholarship income.  Any advice?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Sashaa 

No need to keep asking; you started your own topic here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/tuition-paid-late-2018-scho...

Please don't ask in multiple places for the same issue. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Sashaa
Level 2

I was searching for the topic before starting my own, and found this stream, so I asked the question here.  After that, I thought to myself that perhaps that meant that only you would see the question, so I then created a new post.  My apologies for that.  I won't do it again.  I appreciate you letting me know the etiquette.

0 Cheers