Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLIENT HAS PTC AND SE HEALTH INSURANCE DEDUCTION. We are getting SE deduction and refund of Tax premiums. Is that correct

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What do you mean by "refund of tax premiums"?

The SE deduction plus the NET Premium Tax Credit (Advance credit plus any additional credit on the tax return or minus any repayment on the tax return) should equal the total amount of insurance premiums.

However, sometimes the program gets confused when the calculation doesn't work out nicely, and throws some of the deduction on Schedule A as a Medical Expense.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What do you mean by "refund of tax premiums"?

The SE deduction plus the NET Premium Tax Credit (Advance credit plus any additional credit on the tax return or minus any repayment on the tax return) should equal the total amount of insurance premiums.

However, sometimes the program gets confused when the calculation doesn't work out nicely, and throws some of the deduction on Schedule A as a Medical Expense.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I haven't played with it much this year but it sure sounds like when it coughs up a hairball on these calculations it ends up with PTC and partial SEHI (double dipping).  I'm not sure that's the right answer if the math is unsolvable.

I'm wondering if our starting point for debugging these questions might be "what's the % of FPL on line 5 of the 8962?"

Just played around a little (I'm avoiding the PITA at the top of my stack).  I created a fringe case and it's giving me SEHI = the full APTC repayment even though the APTC repayment is limited.  In my case it was $2,850 SEHI but only $1,300 APTC repayment with 100% subsidy (so no additional out-of-pocket to be counted anywhere).  I'll have to look back at the rules for the non-iterative calculation but that's not my recollection of how it's supposed to work.

FYI, ProSeries considers this to be an "unsupported calculation."

Getting back to the OP, the general advice is to plug in some IRA and/or SEP-IRA contributions until the circular math equation becomes solvable.  We're running out of time on the IRA solution but an extension extends the SEP-IRA deadline until 10/15.

Rick
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I agree, I've read quite a few 'double dipping' posts this year, so they must have changed something (and not for the better).
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Must be that "new math".  $1,50 x 12 = $24.
0 Cheers