Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client has a w-2 form from government entity that does not have a federal id # on it. What should i enter as the program will show an error if NO Federal ID #?

Ismail9491
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Is there any federal withholding on it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Ismail9491
Level 2

YES

0 Cheers
Ismail9491
Level 2

Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

He needs to get a corrected/completed W2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Look harder.  Since IRS does not require standardized forms, employers can get very creative about where they put such information. 

Or did the client bring you just one W-2, after helpfully detaching it at a perforation that didn't match up to the printed edge of the form?  Sometimes that happens.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you contact that employer or look up their annual filing? Even though they don't file tax returns, they file AFR (Annual Financial Reports) or CAFR (Consolidated AFR). These are available to the public. Their info should be on their filing.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Ismail9491
Level 2

my client works for SBA, they issued him w-2 with blank federal id . I though perhaps Federal government do not have EIN like business? was not sure? Cannot file electronically because it gives me an error message?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I though perhaps Federal government do not have EIN like business?"

If there is Fed withholding, there was reporting which required FEIN. The client should be able to chase down the info.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers