Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client did a 1031 exchange on a investment property with suspended loss in 2018. In 2019 Pro-series file, it has her claiming a portion of that loss. Is this appropriate to have Pro-Series keep on doing this?

Highlighted
Level 2

So to recap:

-Client did a 1031 exchange in 2018

-Client is a real estate professional

-Client had a suspended loss on the property

-I did the 1031 through Pro-Series instructions (zeroing out most assets and doing the 1031 forms)

Pro-Series is showing the suspended loss in 2019, and she is able to claim a portion of it.  Is this correct?  She doesn't own the property anymore.  I figured we could just schedule a 0 income Schedule E and a portion would be deducted.  Reading online, it looks like if she did a boot maybe she could have claimed this suspended loss.

Or, should I move the suspended loss to the new 1031 property?

The thing is that since she doesn't own the property anymore I don't know if it is allowed to file a zero income Schedule E.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15

a) Why is there a suspended passive loss if she is a real estate professional?

b) Since adjusted basis of old property becomes part of the basis of the new property, I would think the PAL c/o would "move" to the new property, too. I imagine 469 and/or its Regs address this.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

She became a real estate professional later.  I just moved the passive loss to the new property.  I think that is allowed.  Let me know if I'm wrong in my thinking here. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I would have to research it and I do not have time.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers