Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claiming parent

lease
Level 1

Filed my mother's return as MFS - I filed my father's return also as MFS and that someone could claim him as a dependent.  I am claiming my father as they lived with me and provided more than half of his support.  When I filed the returns mine was "rejected" by the IRS since his SS number appeared on a return that was already filed.  Not sure how to rectify - not sure what I would change - "checked" all the right boxes...thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks,

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
lease
Level 1

Not lost...I am a tax preparer - I don't know what the issue is.  Why the return is rejecting...

0 Cheers
sewcpa
Level 5

Did Dad get the stimulus money by doing the no return option on IRS website? (that was filing a return showing no income which would have claimed himself)

You will need to file a paper return to claim him on yours.

DTNY07
Level 7

I wouldn't have thought of that.  But, it absolutely makes sense.  

0 Cheers
lease
Level 1

Thank you for your help - 

0 Cheers