Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap client story

PATAX
Level 15

Years ago, I raised a clients bill by $5 to I believe approximately $85, this was for both the federal and the state... The client was not too happy and immediately mentioned the $5 fee increase... I told him that I could not believe that he was actually complaining about that... He replied " I have a lot of property tax to pay"... I told him to pay me whatever he wanted to..... he paid the full amount and said I will see you next year ..... Oh by the way, he was not poor in any way, shape, or form... Poor people have shame and they never complain about the bill because they do not want you to know that they are poor.... Just my opinion.....

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

All of the replies herein are very informative and should be read by all... Just my opinion...

View solution in original post

29 Comments 29
BobKamman
Level 15

The wealthy are penny-pinchers because that's how they got that way.  Well, OK, at least 10% of them.  the rest, it's mostly inherited.  

PATAX
Level 15

👍 you hit the nail on the head Bob...

IRonMaN
Level 15

The CPA firm I first worked in was founded by an old ex-IRS agent.  He had retired by the time I started but I heard plenty of "Elmer" stories over the years.  He once had someone question his secretary about the preparation fee.  He overheard the conversation, walked up to the client, and asked to see the return.  He grabbed a good hold of the return, ripped it in half, tossed it in the garbage can and told the client not to let the door hit him in the a$$ on the way out.  When I first started my practice, my response to your client would have been the same as yours PA.  But after a lot of years with dealing with all sorts of personalities, my current treatment would be the "Elmer" treatment. 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You hit the nail on the head Iron Man... I also learned over the years that some people equate quality with the fee... Therefore tax preparers should not undercut themselves and should charge an appropriate, but fair fee.... Just my opinion

BobKamman
Level 15

There were surveys, probably a couple decades ago, on average fees.  They found that "old" preparers were charging less than "new" preparers even though they had more experience and knew the clients better.  What happens is that many people think their clients are their friends, and they don't like asking their friends for money.  I always suggest a large sign in front of your desk (behind the clients, where they won't see it) to remind you 'YOUR CLIENT$ ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND$" .

PATAX
Level 15

👍 Bob, as the old saying goes "business is business"....

USATAXLADY
Level 2

I'm always getting tips & gifts from my clients, I never understood why? They know it's my business, I tell them the fee and they give me extra! Am I not charging enough?

PATAX
Level 15

Not necessarily... Some people are just generous and they appreciate the good job that you do and will tip you.. Some people are brought up that way...

USATAXLADY
Level 2

I have been in this business for 45 years, I am now charging more, if I am not respected & appreciated, they can go somewhere else!  My sayings are, "Either you want it quickly or correctly, your choice!" and "Procrastination on your part does not make it an emergency for me!"

PATAX
Level 15

👍 wise sayings USA tax lady...

dkh
Level 15

Years ago I had a business client tell me I wasn't charging enough.  Gave me a kind lecture about being in business to make money.   

I need the sign @BobKamman suggests because I have a hard time charging "friends" an appropriate fee.

PATAX
Level 15

👍 dkh... If you raise your fees 5% across the board for all clients, very few clients will complain and leave... And that 5% applied to your total gross receipts will be a nice pay increase for yourself... Just my opinion

dkh
Level 15

@PATAX  I actually did a 10% increase this year ! 😁    Felt I deserved it with all the unemployment forms  I had to chase down etc etc etc                Not one client has complained or at least not to me.  

PATAX
Level 15

I think we as tax accountants are undercutting ourselves on our fees... I had an air conditioning technician stop in last week, he was here for approximately 20 minutes or so and he charged me $325.. he only changed the capacitor on the air-conditioning which I believe is somewhere around 30 or $40 for that part... So I think tax preparers deserve a raise...

USATAXLADY
Level 2

You are right, my prices went up this year! A lot of new clients that haven't filed for years, now they want the rebate recovery checks! The government just keeps printing money, our dollar will not be worth a penny soon!

mdtao31
Level 7

When confronted with this i tell my clients you file your taxes ONCE a year.its not like something you pay

weekly or monthly.the threat of not doing thier taxes next year puts an end to complaining.

regards,LARRY

stay safe

PATAX
Level 15

Exactly Larry you hit the nail on the head.. They come here once a year.. The same ones that complain go to the hairdresser or hair stylist every two weeks and pay more money than they pay us... Oh and by the way half of them are almost bald or getting there..

taxman313132
Level 2

according to bob j, there are 9,000 new pages of tax laws this year.  you should be increasing your fees by 20%.  i raised some, but over half my clients are seniors.

BobKamman
Level 15

Some of the people who whine about the declining value of the dollar (which is worth more in terms of the euro, pound or yen than it was ten years ago) are those paying $60,000 for a Bitcoin.  It's lucky for the Chinese that the dollar is so strong, though.  Their exports are cheap, ours not so much.  

PATAX
Level 15

👍You are exactly right Taxman... We should be charging more across the board but we have to absorb a reduction in fee increase with many of the senior citizens since they can go to Vita and get it done for free...... just my opinion.

BobKamman
Level 15

If they qualify for VITA that's where they should be going.  Good way to meet other seniors (different volunteer every year) and share their financial situation with strangers.  That is, if it's not one of those VITA sites where you just drop stuff off and hope it gets done when you come back to pick it up.  

Most of my clients are seniors, but I don't discriminate against my younger ones trying to raise kids by charging them more than their grandparents.  If the old folks want a senior discount, that's why we have McDonald's.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

My prices are nowhere close to where they should be.  But when I went off to college I chose a profession that I thought I would like, not the profession that I thought I could make the most money from.  This year has been a bit challenging at times, but I still do enjoy this job.  I have made comments over the years about my clients not exactly being rocket scientists.  But overall, I have a real good client base made up of good people.  My clients put their full faith and trust in me and I try to do the best job I can for them.  I might not be the richest guy in Minnesota, but as long as I can stroll down to the Ford dealership and drive home a new pickup every 2 or 3 years, I'm content. 

Slava Ukraini!
Greta
Level 9

My old-time partner would say, "How much do you want to pay?" And he'd then say, "OK, but don't come back next year." He was retired military, and spit it out fast. The client would call the following year and beg to be taken back.

PATAX
Level 15

👍 well said Iron Man... I am also thankful that I have a good client base and I appreciate it... Thank God....

mdtao31
Level 7

Very well put ironman

PATAX
Level 15

👍 Greta... sounds like my old colleague and friend, Marine War veteran...... I learned a lot from him... May His Memory Be Eternal...

sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think VITA did in person prep this year. It's not just for seniors. Other low income people qualify, too.

I volunteered with them for a number of years. These "clients" were grateful and always said thank you.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

AARP website says they do in-person at some sites. 

IRS hands out money for Tax Counseling for Elderly programs.  When I grow up I want to work for a nonprofit. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/2021_vita_tce_award_list.pdf

PATAX
Level 15

All of the replies herein are very informative and should be read by all... Just my opinion...