Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charitable contribution and NOL

BrianG932
Level 2

I'm preparing a return for a retired widow with social security, interest and IRA income.  Her income fluctuates from year to year depending on IRA withdrawal amounts and this year her income is $11,000 with a standard deduction amount of $14,050.  She gave $70 to a charitable organization, which is being claimed as an adjustment to income on line 10b of the federal return.  The program is calculating an NOL of $70 and is showing an NOL carryover to next year.  Is this correct?  A charitable deduction of up to $300 under the Cares Act can create an NOL in the amount of the charitable deduction if income is below the standard deduction?  Has anyone seen this?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Terry53029
Level 11
Level 11

Why are you filling ? If its only for rebate, don't bother putting the charitable donation,as it will not change anything

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I saw this reported over in the Facebook ProSeries group...so the question is, is it supposed to be a charitable contribution carryover, or an NOL when it can't be used in the current year?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is not an NOL. There is no business loss on the return. You only get an NOL from business losses.

ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I know the wildfire casualty losses created NOLs for people, is that considered a business loss?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 9

SGR I believe is correct ... I also believe you get an NOL for losses from Residential Real Estate ....just my opinion... 

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 9

Should be sjr not sgr...

0 Cheers