Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the payment deadline from April 15 to May 17 in the software

WJ-Tax
Level 1

Good morning everyone.

Since the IRS recently issued the change in filing and payment dates - Individual taxpayers can also postpone federal income tax payments for the 2020 tax year due on April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed.

Will the software be making the change for the payment debit date from April 15 to allow for a May 17? 

I have entered 05/17/2021 in the software, but currently I can't efile one clients return because it is still considered an error that must be fixed.

Thanks so much.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It will be weeks before IRS has been reprogrammed to accept a later payment date, you may want your clients to use an alternative payment method if they want to file before the changes are updated.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

21 Comments 21
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It will be weeks before IRS has been reprogrammed to accept a later payment date, you may want your clients to use an alternative payment method if they want to file before the changes are updated.

mheckercpa
Level 1

I am having the same problem with Texas clients with due date extended to July 15. Would it be possible to file an extension for the client and follow that with the 1040 filing with extended due dates?

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I thought Texas was extended to June 15th?  not July

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
sjrcpa
Level 15

I thought Texas extended due date was June 15.

But yes you can file extensions.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@dd4vols Jinx

Ex-AllStar
mheckercpa
Level 1

You are correct. I mistyped. Thanks!

WJ-Tax
Level 1

Thanks so much.  Appreciate the quick reply.

NancyTax
Level 1

What about changing the electronic payment due draft for a Texas resident to June 15?  Proseries only allows drafts to May 17. 

fastfile2
Level 2

STILL not fixed. 

Anybody working on this or has this just been thrown into the "round tuit" pile?

Beno58
Level 3

I have been waiting for this change to June 15, 2021 Direct Debit for my Texas clients.  Hopefully it will be updated soon.  

Beno58
Level 3

I was told by Proseries via phone conversation that this change would be implemented TODAY.  I should be able to efile a client from Texas with a payment date of June 15, 2021.  It is 9:30 pm Texas time and the change has not been implemented so far.

jcossio
Level 2

Did you get an answer? 

Beno58
Level 3

I have not received any new information.  I can change the date to May 17, but not beyond.  Very disappointed.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Updates generally come out late Wed or early Thurs...maybe this will be the lucky week?

Personally, I would have just scheduled the payment on the IRS Direct Pay website a long time ago ad got the file off my desk.

Beno58
Level 3

The software should be able to do this.  

We live in Texas so 99% of customers are Texas customers.

fastfile2
Level 2

SHOULD aid the key word.

Intuit has been sitting on this needed update for 6 weeks and ignoring its Texas and OK customers.

fastfile2
Level 2

Intuit is not responding to this issue and has told its front line people to tell the accountants “we’ll post a fix when we post it and not a moment before... so stop asking when because we don’t tell our people when we will fix the bugs because there are no bugs”

bcarlson83
Level 2

Also waiting for this fix, need to file some Texas client returns who want payment drafted on due date of June 15th, it this going to be fixed or am I going to have to tell them to go to IRS.gov to make a payment or mail a payment in?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have them pay on the IRS website or mail it in if they want to wait for a later date to pay.

fastfile2
Level 2

Sorry, but Intuit cannot/will not fix this. I am in Texas and had two dozen files waiting to pay on the deadline. 

There are THREE solutions:

1. E-file the return; Client mails payment or makes their own payment arrangement.

2. E-file the return no earlier than 6/14 and no later than 6/15

3. E-file the return and REMOVE the debit payment request. Go on to IRS.Gov/Payments and MANUALLY enter a payment for a draft date of 6/15.  CAUTION: Be sure to log out after each payment for a client before entering payment info for another client. If you do not heed this warning, you will end up making a bunch of payments to ONE CLIENT from another client's bank account. 

The primary reason that Intuit did not fix this issue is because the IRS refused to fix it on their end. The IRS programmed the system to accept advance requests for payment ONLY to April 15, and then later they adjusted this to MAY 15. But they did NOT make it possible for any other advance date. 

bcarlson83
Level 2

Thanks, I had already discussed this issue being a potential with client, thanks for confirming that it won't be able to be scheduled through the program.