Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing data file directory

LJHCPA
Level 4

I just came back to ProSeries from a "cheap" alternative. The cheap program was fine for simple W-2 1040's, but couldn't handle complex returns with many K-1's. I have four major returns that I prepared under ProSeries in 2018 using another CPA firm's ProSeries and E-file. I have copies of their .18i files and copied them to the 2018 data file folder on my server. These 2018 and 2019 installs are network versions.

The problem is Homebase does not see these files and I can't open them from Homebase. Database Maintenance does detect these four files duplicates. If I close ProSeries, go to Windows file manager and double click on the .18i file it will open in ProSeries and allow me to save it. Problem: ProSeries saves the file as two files, so it displays twice in Homebase. One copy shows the file location as .\18Data\filename.18i and the other shows the file location as W:\proseries 2018\18data\filename.18i drive W: is the workstation mapped drive to the server where ProSeries is installed. The full path reflects in the ProSeries Directories window as \\Server\servervolumename\ProSeries 2018\18data. If I click on the Browse button I get an error that says "There are no folders available beyond \\Server\servervolumename\ProSeries 2018\18data. To create new folders in this directory see Help"

Why does ProSeries show the data files paths as two different strings--even though they are both physically the same location, but (apparently) different logically? What is the best way to fix this so I can have a clean import from 2018 to 2019?

Thanks for the help

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
LJHCPA
Level 4

Just noticed another wrinkle with this issue. I thought if I renamed one of the duplicate files I could at least know which one to keep if I have to delete the other one. When renaming the file from Homebase ProSeries will save two copies of it, but ProSeries crashes during the rename process.  I can't see the new duplicate files until I restart ProSeries.  Why is ProSeries saving two copies? It doesn't seem to matter which file I rename--the one with the logical location or the one with the mapped drive letter--they both crash ProSeries.

0 Cheers