Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in the amount calculated

Patrickmerryman
Level 2

when I opened a client's 2018 file which was filed last year I got a message from pro series that said" Pro series has detected that the amounts calculated in this return have changed since the return was e-filed."after looking for the changes I determined that the difference was the loss for a farming operation was $29, 000 previously and is now showing as 33,000. I have Dug around and don't seem to be able to find any explanation for this change. Does anybody know why this is happening?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

This has to  do with the Change in the Capital Gains tax calculation that the IRS sent to the software providers initially for 2018. IF you recall, when the IRS found the error, ProSeries did an update, but the IRS said to NOT AMEND those returns already filed. They had a way of knowing which returns were impacted, and would do a refund to each of them.  I have had about 4 returns do that... and 3 of those clients called me when they got a check from the IRS last summer.  When I opened those returns.. I got the 'detected a diff" (because ProSeries did the update), and each of those differences matched those clients refund. One client didn't tell me, but I asked him about it when he came in this year.. and he acknowledged the extra refund ck to last summer.  I suspect your client got a check last summer too.  

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one do that this year, it changed the depreciation on a Sch C....was really weird.

You'll want to compare the printed copy of the 2018 return that was filed against the figures that it is showing now....which line got changed?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Dig a little deeper if needed, but you shouldn't need a really strong shovel if you just place the original schedule alongside the revised one.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

This has to  do with the Change in the Capital Gains tax calculation that the IRS sent to the software providers initially for 2018. IF you recall, when the IRS found the error, ProSeries did an update, but the IRS said to NOT AMEND those returns already filed. They had a way of knowing which returns were impacted, and would do a refund to each of them.  I have had about 4 returns do that... and 3 of those clients called me when they got a check from the IRS last summer.  When I opened those returns.. I got the 'detected a diff" (because ProSeries did the update), and each of those differences matched those clients refund. One client didn't tell me, but I asked him about it when he came in this year.. and he acknowledged the extra refund ck to last summer.  I suspect your client got a check last summer too.  

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Patrickmerryman
Level 2

I appreciate the insight, I just purchased this practice last month and was not aware of this issue until now. I will ask the client if he received an additional refund last year thanks again