Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you lock or overide the prepares date on the 1040?

ProSeries removed the ability to lock the prepares date on the 1040 is there a way to lock it.
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can make it so NO date prints by the preparer signature. 

Tools > Firm/Preparer Info, make sure the Print Date on Return box is unchecked.

Theres no option to lock it though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
dkh
Level 15

You can override the date on the Form 1040 by going to the 1040/1040SR Worksheet - scroll down to the date in the Paid Preparer information

There is no paid preparer information on the 1040/1040SR wks........or at least on mine.  Is there another place to look?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They added this option, but when I have it checked, it makes some weird coding appear for the date on the letter/invoice for NEW clients, I honestly havent even spot checked if it actually freezes the date.  I always have a printed or PDF of any return thats been filed, so I dont pay much attention to the date when I open the file and print later. freezedate.png

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can make it so NO date prints by the preparer signature. 

Tools > Firm/Preparer Info, make sure the Print Date on Return box is unchecked.

Theres no option to lock it though.

0 Cheers

Would be nice if ProSeries would just change it back for the 1040 as they do with state returns and 8879's so that you could just overide the date which essentially locks it.

Can you hear this suggestion ProSeries?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I don't think that option won't freeze the date on the actual 1040 though - will it ?  

I enter a date in Final Tax Return printed line of the Client Status worksheet 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

page 8 of the 1040/1040-SR Worksheet has Paid Preparer section....

0 Cheers

Yes if you override on the state or 8879's for the preparers date it actually freezes it.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

How does overriding on the 8879 or state return freeze the date on the 1040 ?

0 Cheers

It doesn't freeze it on the 1040.  Maybe I wasn't clear.  It freezes the date on those forms only.  What I said was it would be nice if ProSeries went back to allow us to override the date on the 1040 like the other forms as you were able to until a few years ago.  For some reason they deleted that option for the 1040 only.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I always type in the date I print the return on the federal and state 8879s ERO section.

You can override on the date on the 1040....   page 8 of the 1040/1040-SR Worksheet has Paid Preparer section... there you can override the date that will print on the 1040.

0 Cheers

The reason I couldn't do it on the 1040/1040-SR Worksheet is because my worksheet on every client stops midway through page 6 and is blank after that.

0 Cheers