Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we sign in offline for TY22 ? Previous years had the option to not sign in with Wifi. Work without an internet connection. I dont see the box this year.

taxattendant
Level 1

0 Cheers
57 Comments 57
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I disconnected my wi-fi, then started up ProSeries, I did get the Sign in Offline option, but it told me my password as wrong (tried 3 times to make sure it wasnt my finger flub).....sooo it looks like it doesnt work, but it should.

@IntuitGabi  can you add anything here?  Lots of us have inconsistent internet connections and NEED that option.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
deb4
Level 3

I noticed this year you must enter your email address and password to work off line.  In previous years it saved your email address and you only had to enter your password.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

yes, I had to type both in (I have a user ID, I dont use my email) but it still told me my password was wrong.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

No you must have internet.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I get the offline sign in screen , it just doesnt work

offline.png

JRC
Level 8

I didn't have internet for over a half day last week and wasn't able to log in without it

I called support and was told I needed internet to log in. PERIOD.

Big problem when we do have outages and can't work on tax return's without internet. We should have been told this before we renewed for this year.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Can you use your phone as a hotspot to get logged in, then disconnect it and still use the program?

0 Cheers
deb4
Level 3

I work off line all of the time.  I plug in the internet to file the returns and unplug it again.   

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can start the 2022 program and log in without the internet?

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

I think it works if you Log in first with the internet. Then disconnect internet and work. But if you don't have internet to begin with you can't.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Oh this is horsesh-t if you cant log in off-line. 

@IntuitGabi can you confirm this? 

IntuitGabi

Thanks for the tag, this is unexpected behavior and we're looking into this. 
We're seeing it in Lacerte too. 

JRC
Level 8

What's a phone hotspot?

I'm becoming obsolete......

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Take your cell phone (under settings) and you can create a hotspot that your computer can use as a wireless connection.  However, since you mention obsolete, it won't work with that crank up phone you have on your wall.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

My phone has a way to create a "hotspot" and makes a virtual internet connection with a password that my computer can use to access the internet.  I think it dinks away at your data usage or something (I dont think you can use it for days at a time) but for works good for a short period of time to get a connection on something other than your phone.

Ive only had to do it once, so my understanding of it is limited.   If youve got an IPhone it in your Settings > Network and Internet menu, then choose Hotspot and it will give you way to connect another device to the internet.

JRC
Level 8

I see it... thanks. Not sure if I can crank fast enough for it to work though....haha

JRC
Level 8

Thanks Lisa.. Will need to check it out since I have unlimited data.. Will have my IT person look into this(ME).

TiredFarmer
Level 7

I am afraid to say but so far so good on the log in without internet this year.  I have wi fi disabled.

kgalland
Level 4

Another problem with Intuit products in general that do not care about customer service or supporting professionals who don't have the luxury of shutting down when the internet is down. Very scary to depend on software that doesn't work offline especially if you are working outside the office and don't have a secure connection. Even though tax professionals are probably their biggest client, they do nothing to support us but make life even more stressful during busy season. I can't think of how many days I've spent on the phone with support for things that I could've fixed myself in 5 minutes if the software allowed me to do my job. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I can't think of how many days I've spent on the phone with support"

I've been using the software for 20+ years and I don't think I've called support a dozen times in all of those years.  I'm not sure why you would need to spend that much time dealing with support.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

This tired farmer is thankful for the hero's on here that are the BEST support!  Hope you all are having a good season so far. Thanks for all the help you all have been to me I really appreciate it.  Just sorry I don't tell you all more.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was hoping to see the name WellRestedFarmer this year, but I guess you are still tired.  Well, try to get to bed early tonight so that you can at least check in as JustALittleBitTiredFarmer tomorrow  😁

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@kgalland   <<Even though tax professionals are probably their biggest client,>>

They have a product called Turbo Tax…. May (just slightly) edge out the revenues from their professional preparer products

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
JRC
Level 8

It is available on my Computer now. But on the 24th of January it wasn't working and Intuit Tech told me it would not work without being on-line. 

Guess it depends on who you speak to.

0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7

All is much better with this farmer. Just not sure how to change the name.😀

kgalland
Level 4

Sorry I was actually referring to Quickbooks support which is an Intuit product. They have lots of problems with things that accountants can't fix themselves. Most of the time they make the corrections in online wrong and you spend more time on the phone for a 5-minute fix. I usually figure out the Proseries issues faster on my own than calling support but Proseries support is on a much better level. I would love to not have to use QB products.

0 Cheers
Brad22
Level 2

Does Proseries 22 plan on correcting this problem ?

I dont understand why this has been removed for this year. 

Need to know soon otherwise I need to switch software.

Need this option !!!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It is unexpected behavior and they are looking into it, havent seen any ETA on a fix though.

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Unexpected Behavior - adjective or noun which basically is used as an alternative for "bug."  Mainly common in software writing terminology to suggest that programmers screwed something up but only half-heartily want to admit it.  A kind alternative to admitting that there is a bug in software.

- Phrase also can be used when pigs fly!  Or Chinese balloon actually flies over the Iron Range.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

I have Windows 10 as long as my wi fi is manually I can sign in offline but if I have internet connected in any way I get the box but can't sign in.

MobileTaxGuy
Level 3

Any update on fixing ProSeries 2022 so we can sign in offline?

I have to put off some of my clients until this issue is fixed.

0 Cheers
jc13
Level 1

just off the phone with intuit tech..... no go with offline. i rudely found out yesterday while sitting down at a clients house that the OFFLINE sign in is extinct. been using proseries since 2006... never an issue. 2022, whole new game. i spent 2 weeks trying to get 22 just to download. techs couldn't help me out there either.

0 Cheers
Brad22
Level 2

That's very unfortunate. Been with them since 2002. I will stick it out this year but will switch next year. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Cant you use your phone as a hotspot to get signed in, then disconnect from it?

@IntuitGabi is what phone support is telling people correct?

0 Cheers
mobilemarnel
Level 1

I am not able to even get to the sign on without an internet connection...I complete mobile returns and many times do not even have access to phone, let alone internet....this is going to put a huge wrench in my business....Is there a fix??  I have done all the updates and still no sign in offline option... I cant work this way...why did they change it, especially when we dont want to be connecting to just anybodies internet with the information we have...

Help Proseries!!!!  and other preparers in the same boat I am!!!

0 Cheers
mobilemarnel
Level 1

I dont even have an option to sign in offline....

0 Cheers
jc13
Level 1

mobilemarnel.... the only work around I have found is to sign in at home and leave my computer and proseries on all day. then hope you are able to plug in at the clients home and keep the computer charged
0 Cheers
kgalland
Level 4

Its frustrating that Proseries doesn't protect our client data when we are required to. Basically now you can only work when you are at your home office to be secure. This completely changes the option to work remotely. This is a very bad idea on Proseries part especially since they didn't even consult users first. I'd like to hear about other programs that preparers are happy with. The customer support offered by Intuit is very lacking. They do not cater to professionals who seem to be their biggest users. 

0 Cheers
jc13
Level 1

it's definitely something they kept secret prior to us renewing the software license.

and the kicker, which you alluded to, regarding all the new "security" protocols and laws.... when are you most vulnerable to a security breach???? when you are ONLINE

0 Cheers
deb4
Level 3

AMEN

0 Cheers
wpadley
Level 2
Ditto. This sucks not being able to work offline. FIT IT ProSeries - like NOW!!!
0 Cheers
KTtax
Level 1

Has this been fixed?  I will be switching software next year as well if not corrected.  Thanks for any update.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi  have we heard anything more about this issue?

IntuitGabi

Nothing to update at the moment, although this is still on our radar and we're looking into it.  

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I feel sorry for those that are traveling preparers or those that live in internet sketchy areas.

Personally I think Intuit will lose those customers. 

IntuitGabi

After contacting us about this, you will see this message regarding--
TY22 ProSeries signing offline: We are currently working to resolve. 
Our next update is currently scheduled to occur on or before: 02/24/23 

Bill Truluck
Level 1

I need the ability to SIGN-IN OFFLINE in 2022 Proseries NOW! I am losing revenues by not being able to 

sign in offline and work remotely where there is not internet access.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

This was probably the first step to eventually move everyone to ONLINE only Tax Software which is coming. Same thing that is happening to QUICKBOOKS which is forcing clients to online only and a monthly fee. 

All I need is 2 years then they can do whatever they want...lol

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Bill Truluck you cant use your cell phone as a hotspot to get connected, then disconnect and continue to use the software?