Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't e-file a California return after extension was filed

Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

Error message is "RETURN IS SELECTED. PLEASE COMPLETE THE EXTENSION FOR THE RETURN FIRST. IF THE EXTENSION HAS BEEN COMPLETED, OPEN THE RETURN NAVIGATE TO STATE/CITY AND SAVE THE RETURN"

Of course I have already tried updating the status of the returns.

ProSeries staff needs to fix this pronto please.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So you Efiled a CA extension with a payment, now you're trying to EFile the return and you get this message? Did you uncheck any of the EF boxes after EF the extension?

I havent EF'd any of the returns that I EF'd a CA extension for yet this year, so Im not sure if this is a program issue or a user issue.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

I should not have to uncheck anything.  This is a program issue.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Youre right, you shouldn't have to uncheck anything. That's why I asked if you had.

So from the EFCenter Pending Tab, if you highlight just the CA return for that client and hit the EFNow button and only choose to Convert....is that the message you get?

Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

Yes

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
FWIW I just downloaded my own tax file from the cloud and opened it here at home to see what happens for me (I EF'd a CA extension back in March), mine converts for Efiling just fine using the method above....Im not ready to transmit it, but I do not get the message you're seeing.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im sure this is a dumb question, but you've opened the return and switched over to the CA return since the extension was accepted, and saved/exited the CA return?

Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

Yep. Done all that. I'm actually very busy preparing returns and was looking for a real solution to this program bug, preferably from ProSeries and not just wanting to engage in chit chat.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
YOYO then, good luck!

Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

This is only an issue with returns that had a payment sent with CA Form 3519.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
i sent a payment with the 3519 on my own return and I dont have this issue, so I dont consider it to be a programming "bug"...when you have time, you may want to contact support, maybe someone can remote into your system and see if they can fix the problem.....but enough chit chat, I know youre working!

Gregory Gandrud
Level 3

I contacted "support". The man was very unhelpful. He wanted me to do a workaround (which I already knew how to do). He did not agree that this was a problem with the program and hung up on me. ProSeries quality and service has really fallen to a very low level.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"He did not agree that this was a problem with the program"

I agree with him, since I dont have the same problem with a return in a similar situation, however Im not sure how to help you.

@JH6  Could you maybe have Gregory send you a sanitized file so you can see what the issue is he's having?  I saw you had helped someone else by reviewing their sanitized file.

0 Cheers
gladyscpa
Level 1

This is truly a ridicules programming problem.  The exact same issue just happened to me.  I unchecked CA extension status then e-filed successfully.  

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Reporting back this is working as designed. 
To submit a program enhancement, please use ProSeries Idea Exchange. 

0 Cheers