Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help with an ITIN/ tax return question?

bruggeman123
Level 1
I am preparing a return for 2018, taxpayer is applying for an ITIN. We are including the W-7 form. His W-2 has a number filled in the SSN box. I don't think it is his SSN. In my tax guide is says that they are not eligible to take the Child Tax Credit if they don't have a valid ITIN/SSN by the due date with extensions. Is this correct? Thanks
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You should check what that number on the W-2 is because it will affect the credit he may get for the withholding.  Unless you know for sure why there is that series of numbers and what it is, you can't really file his return or apply for an ITIN.

It is correct he is not eligible for CTC (not withstanding other requirements) if he doesn't have an ITIN issued on or before the due date for filing his return.  This is codified under §24(e)(2).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

You should check what that number on the W-2 is because it will affect the credit he may get for the withholding.  Unless you know for sure why there is that series of numbers and what it is, you can't really file his return or apply for an ITIN.

It is correct he is not eligible for CTC (not withstanding other requirements) if he doesn't have an ITIN issued on or before the due date for filing his return.  This is codified under §24(e)(2).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers