Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my client file head of household if his adult son who usually lives with him is now in a medically necessary rehab facility and my client paid all medical expenses?

chiodoinc
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

A person is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:

• Illness,
  • Education,
  • Business,
  • Vacation, or
  • Military service.

It must be reasonable to assume that the absent person will return to the home after the temporary absence.

This information is found in the Filing Status chapter of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
BobKamman
Level 15

A person is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:

• Illness,
  • Education,
  • Business,
  • Vacation, or
  • Military service.

It must be reasonable to assume that the absent person will return to the home after the temporary absence.

This information is found in the Filing Status chapter of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax.

chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you so much.  I appreciate your feedback.  Take care and stay healthy.

0 Cheers