Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still e-file a fed and state return in ProSeries (both with refunds) in November 2018? Client did not file an extension.

mrscpa
Level 2

or do I have to mail both returns since client has no extension but does not have a balance due?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

E-filing for Individual returns (Form 1040) stopped on November 17th and won't open again until mid-to-late January.  So those should probably be mailed.

E-filing for Business returns (Corporations, Partnerships, etc.) is still open until mid-to-late December.  So those can still be e-filed.

As Marc mentioned, extensions (or lack thereof) or any balance due does not affect whether it can be e-filed or not.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Extension is not relevant.  IRS computer maint is the issue.  
0 Cheers
mrscpa
Level 2
thank you for your help.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

E-filing for Individual returns (Form 1040) stopped on November 17th and won't open again until mid-to-late January.  So those should probably be mailed.

E-filing for Business returns (Corporations, Partnerships, etc.) is still open until mid-to-late December.  So those can still be e-filed.

As Marc mentioned, extensions (or lack thereof) or any balance due does not affect whether it can be e-filed or not.

mrscpa
Level 2
thank you so much for your detailed/clear response! I appreciate it. I am still learning the ropes of taxes and filings. If I need to amend this clients 2016 return, can I mail it with his 2017 return too? It's also my first time filing a 1040x so any tips is greatly appreciated! Hope you're having awonderful holiday season.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
You can mail the amended 2016 tax return at the same time as you mail the 2017 tax return, but use different envelopes (some people will put the two separately enveloped tax returns into one bigger envelope to mail, but it may be easier just to mail them separately).

Did you prepare the 2016 tax return with ProSeries?  If not, enter it into the 2016 ProSeries exactly has the original tax return shows.

After you have the original 2016 tax return in ProSeries, BEFORE you make any changes for the amendment, open the 1040X *AND* check the box for the year (2016).  Be sure you are using the 2016 software.  That will 'activate' the 1040X.  Do the same for any State amendment form.  THEN make any necessary changes on the 'regular' forms and worksheets for the amendment.  Do not make any changes before checking the year box to 'activate' the 1040X (the name, address, etc. will show up on the 1040X when you activate it by clicking the year box).
0 Cheers