Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i efile form 7004 with no tax due

yg
Level 1

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sure, lots of 7004s have no balance due.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
S_M_D
Level 2

This is a big problem on 7004. I have clients who have zero balance due on the extension - either because of

1. overpayment from prior years,

2.  estimated tax payments

3. Loss.

so the balance due on extension is zero. That means I cannot efile extension. This is extra hassle of prinintg so many extensions, mailing it. and keeping proofs.

Would it help to have tentative tax of $1, show zero payments, and file extension for a $1? Because that removes the error. But it is ridiculous.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The only 7004s I Efile are zero balance due, so if you cant Efile it, its not because of the lack of payment.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Looks like other people in the FB PS group are having the same issue with Fiscal year filers.

@IntuitGabi any info about this?

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

I'll look into it! 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

We have our eyes on this and a plan is in progress. I'll keep this thread updated as I get information! 

S_M_D
Level 2

Any ETA on this?

We have multiple clients with 06/30 Y/E with 09/15 deadline. 

IntuitGabi

There is no ETA at this time. 

There are two options: paper-file, or add the $1 as you suggested. 

If there are updates, I'll be sure to let you know on this thread. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

The team has been working on this. If you haven't printed or filed, let's try tomorrow! 

Have a great evening. 

0 Cheers
sfmethod
Level 2

The problem with adding the $1 is that the 7004 instructions say that:

"The extension will be granted if you complete Form 7004 properly, make a proper estimate of the tax (if applicable), file Form 7004 by the due date of the return for which the extension is requested, and pay any tax that is due."

So if we don't pay the $1 for each of our clients extensions that it may not be a valid extension.

We have had numerous issues with the IRS correctly logging multiple extension when paper filing extensions so we don't trust that option. This is very frustrating to find out about this change 2 days before the due date.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think it's a change. It's a bug, or in Intuitspeak - Unexpected Behavior.

Ex-AllStar
IntuitGabi

Completely understandable, sfmethod. [edited] 

An update to prevent the error message is expected to be released on or around 09/14/2021.

Meanwhile, are you seeing an error message?
On a the Federal Information Worksheet, you can clear the error by unchecking the extension for e-file. 

I hope this helps! 

0 Cheers
Wolcott CPA
Level 2

Definitely a Proseries error.  I was able to e-file the extensions I needed to through Drake with no problem.

0 Cheers
S_M_D
Level 2

This is still NOT solved. 

Unchecking efile - means you don't want us to use proseries to efile the zero extension. What next? File zero due returns also via paper?

It does give error message. 

Expecting a proper fix. This was never the issue earlier. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
S_M_D
Level 2

Thanks. What a relief!