Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I efile an amended individual return prepared by someone else?

AmyK1962
Level 3

Hello!  Does anyone know if I can amend an individual return already prepared and accepted by the client.  The instructions for efiling seem to want to have the original return filed on Proseries, but I don't have that.  

Any work arounds?  It wants me to efile the original return when I try to efile.  (but it was already efiled by client on another software)

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.  You need to have Efiled the original with ProSeries in order to Efile an amendment.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

My answer is not from first hand experience, (I have not tried your situation)

But from other comments on here, I DONT believe that you can efile from proseries unless you prepared and efiled the original return, and that you are amending the same file.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No.  You need to have Efiled the original with ProSeries in order to Efile an amendment.

AmyK1962
Level 3

Well that is crappy LOL...I just wasted one of my "50" returns...ugh...I should have investigated further before I saved the return LOL...

thanks!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Print and mail. None of the DIY softwares (that Im aware of) allow Efiling of amendments either so the client is still in the same boat.

AmyK1962
Level 3

I am gonna check FreeTax USA where they originally filed just to be sure.  I talked to an IRS agent last week who told me they are finally getting around to opening AUGUST 2020 mail and processing LOL....yea...I thought I was behind!  😉

AmyK1962
Level 3

Update!  The Freetaxusa software allowed us to efile the amended return!  They will only mail out the check, but will let you efile the current year if you used the software to file the original!