Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I efile a 1040 X? I

PChin
Level 3

I have prepared a 2020 1040x.  I deleted the original file when I was getting a duplicate SSN error from Intuit.  I tried to efile the 1040x not realizing I had not checked the box on the Info Wks to efile the amended.  Now Intuit is saying I cannot efile the amended return when the original return was not efiled - but it was (just the original file which I deleted when I did a save as for the amended return),  Can I fix this so I can file the amended electronically?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Restore the original file from the Windows recycle bin and get rid of the copy that you have saved....start over and use that original file and make it amended.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
PChin
Level 3

I did the restore but the file is not showing up in my clients - how do I put it back into ProSeries?  There were two files, one is 20I file (which appears to be the data file) and the other is a PMD file. 

0 Cheers
PChin
Level 3

The file is in the correct directory but not appearing as a client in my ProSeries.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Double click it to open it from Windows File Explorer, when it opens Save it and then it will be in your HB.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
PChin
Level 3

I have a feeling because I also had the other file still in my HB, when I restored the old file, it showed a duplicate SSN so I deleted the second file and that error was resolved and even though the status showed as EF accepted, it still gives me the error that I cannot efile the federal return if the original return was not successfully efiled - any hope?

0 Cheers