Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I e-file an Arizona State Return only with a direct deposit refund after the Federal IRS Return has been mailed in with a check for balance due?

Level 4
My client wanted to mail his Federal Paper Return with a cashiers check for the balance due, which he did today.  However,  he is receiving a refund from ARIZONA and wanted to e-file that.  I filled out the State only form and tried to e-file but was informed  that the Federal Return needed to be received by IRS before it could be e-filed.  Dah!  Has anyone had this experience before who could tell me a way to check if IRS has received the Federal return?  Also, if they have a time line estimate for the Fed Filing! Thanks!
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Bummer, he could have EF the federal then mailed payment in with a voucher, then you could have EF the state return.

Some states piggyback on the federal, AZ is one of them.  If you dont EF federal, you cant EF state.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 4

Ah!  Thanks Lisa, I did try to research before but was getting nowhere!  I guess he will have to mail in the AZ!   I should have tried the community first... That will teach me!  I haven't had a mail in return in years so was out of touch!