Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change payments made in box 1 of form 1098-T to reflect the scholarships in box 5 which is $ 31,310? How can I avoid taxable income from this error?

cmelly
Level 1

The 1098-T shows payments received $9,359 and scholarships  $ 31,310 all received in 2018. How can I adjust the tuition to include the scholarship so it does not appear to have taxable income. The parents qualify for AOTC also the payments received is incorrect.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the Box 1 is incorrect, the first thing that should be done is to contact the college to correct the 1098-T.

Assuming the college is stupid enough to refuse to correct it, there is a "reconciliation" box a bit lower on the screen that you can enter the actual amount of tuition paid.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the Box 1 is incorrect, the first thing that should be done is to contact the college to correct the 1098-T.

Assuming the college is stupid enough to refuse to correct it, there is a "reconciliation" box a bit lower on the screen that you can enter the actual amount of tuition paid.

0 Cheers