Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a wife-married filing jointly and (power of attorney) sign E-file authorization( form 8879 ) for her incapacitated spouse? Can she sign if NOT power of attorney?

Amy B
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

With POA I would probably do it. (I have where a Child has a POA for an elderly parent)

Without POA - How would I know - I don't require Clients to sign in my presence. If she takes it home to husband and it comes back signed, I would transmit the return. That's between them. But I don't want someone signing someone else's name in front of me, without POA.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If the spouse is incapacitated, what else are you going to do?  Besides, like Jeff referred to above - we aren't trained handwriting experts.  As long as there are two signatures on the form, are we going to start grilling our clients on whether or not one spouse signed for another?  CAGMC

Slava Ukraini!