Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Unemployment - changed after return filed in proseries ???????

plrraz
Level 3

Hi,

It looks like Proseries went back and changed California unemployment to be split between joint filers so that if a spouse received 20,400 it is ALL non taxable.

I went back and looked at several of my previously filed returns, and they have all been changed.

My understanding is that in the case I listed above, only half would be non taxable and half would be taxable, as it all belongs to the spouse - I realize that up to 20,400 could be non taxable - but my understanding was that both spouses would have to have unemployment of 10,200 each for this to be the case.

Obviously I could be wrong, and probably am, and it looks like Proseries updated unemployment, adding a community property box.

Ugh. Sorry, this is just irritating.  I (after my pathetic rant) am going to re-read the update on what was changed in the program.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
plrraz
Level 3

UGHHHH

Ok, I see that the program went and corrected to reflect community property states and that even if only one spouse received the unemployment, the total non taxable is 10,200 x 2 = 20,400.

This is why I HATE that these changes were made DURING tax season.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
At least its a change for the good for most people!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers