Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CALIF non-profit efiling error

oakhillsal
Level 3

Client is a 501c7 recreational club, organized as a Nevada Corp. doing business in CA.  The worksheet asks for a CA Corp number, but there is none because its a Nevada Corp.  When trying to efile, even with the error checking feature turned off for this return, the program generates an error and the return is rejected by Proseries/Intuit.  I know the 109 form has to be paper filed, but the 199 form can and should be efiled.  Without a CA Corp number, the program doesn't want to do that.  Would appreciate and feed back on a resolution or confirmation that a waiver should be requested.

Error:  CA Exempt Organization Information Wks:  CA Corp Number invalid.  Please enter the appropriate ID (CA-Corp, CA-SOS, LLC Temp, 'FOREIGNUS' OR 'APPLD FOR') for California electronic filing.  Return conversion failed.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

If they are doing business in CA they should probably be registered in CA.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
oakhillsal
Level 3

That's probably true.  However, they have been filing tax returns since 1992 in the state of CA and the state has never objected to the filings nor told them to register.  Proseries thinks that just turning off the error checking will fix it - but it doesn't.  I was hoping someone had a work around.  For now, I'm going to print the return, add a note to it, and mail it to the state.  We'll see what they say.  The Form 109 has to be mailed anyway, so they will get both together.

0 Cheers
oakhillsal
Level 3

Update:  CA sent them a letter assigning an "Entity" number.  Apparently the state does that automatically, they just didn't send it to me.  Problem solved - thanks to all who responded.  This community is such a great asset for us.