Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache files exist on server but not the data (i) files

Level 1

Missing a number tax returns (1040s) in ProSeries 2020. We use a network connected install. I found one for my client "Smith" saved as Smith1234.20i.cache out on my server where all the other data files are, but not the corresponding "Smith1234.20i" ProSeries file. 

Have tried doing Homebase Maintenance and Backup/Restore. With Restore, it only sees the "20i" files and not the cache files. How do I restore when only the "cache" files for a particular client exist? 

Thanks,

Ashley

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Level 12

I lost about a dozen files when I ran Homebase Maintenance last week.  Found them in my Recycle Bin and managed to restore them.  I'm starting to do daily backups now.  

0 Cheers
Level 1

Yeah, I looked in the server and the computer recycling bin but didn't find anything. 😕 

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

HI Ashley,

Could you please send your contact info to proseries_engineering@intuit.com?, please include a link to this post for reference. We would like to follow up with you regarding the issue.

Thanks,

-Hieu

Level 1

Thank you Hieu! I've sent an email to the link you provided w/ a link back to here.

0 Cheers
Level 1

Were they able to help you restore? I have a client file with the same issue- I see the ".20i.cache" file but not the corresponding ".20I" file. There is nothing in my recycle bin. 

0 Cheers
Employee
Employee

Sorry for the trouble. You cannot convert .cache file to return file.  How did you get into that situation?

0 Cheers
Level 1

Hi, Milkshake. Unfortunately they were not able to help me restore and they weren't able to tell me why the issue happened in the first place. I work for an IT firm so I was able to restore the "20i" files from our server backup and confirmed with my end-users that they could see the restored files in their Proseries clients. 

Are your Proseries data files hosted on a server? If so, you/your IT team might have to go in and restore from server backups. 

0 Cheers
Level 1

Hi Ashley. Homebase Maintenance will remove clients from the database if the datafile is missing. It will think that the client doesn't exist anymore. 

It is possible that the datafile was deleted or messed with by your antivirus software. If this issue happens again you should try to make sure that your antivirus does not scan your datafile. Follow the instructions here: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/file-actions/help/error-opening-client-cannot-locate-file-wo...

0 Cheers