Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA credit for OR nonresident tax paid on composite return

Ace
Level 2

I have a CA resident that was included in the filing of OR nonresident composite return for an S-corporation.

Generally, a CA resident can not claim a credit for OR income taxes. However, the instructions to Schedule S state the following:

California residents who are included in a group nonresident tax return similar to the tax return described in California Revenue & Taxation Code (R&TC) Section 18535, filed with the states listed in this section, as well as Arizona (AZ), Oregon (OR), or Virginia (VA) may also claim a credit for their share of income taxes paid to these states, unless any of these states allow a credit for taxes paid to California on the group nonresident tax return.

The OR composite return seems to satisfy these requirements.

When I include the OR tax on the CA resident return, I receive an error message that will not allow me to e-file the return. Is there a way around this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here