Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bypassing driver's license verification

mphillips1994
Level 3

My client is disabled and legally blind.  She does not drive and has no driver's license.  She is a resident of Alabama. I will paper file the state but I can't figure out how to bypass on the federal.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DTNY07
Level 7

It is mandatory for Alabama.   Even on the IRS return.  That's what it says on the ID verification sheet.

I don't have any clients in Alabama though, so never have had to try it.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
George4Tacks
Level 15

I don't know the procedure for PS. Remove from the e-file queue for Alabama. Maybe @poolcleaner  is online today and can help.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Federal doesn't need a driver's license, so you should be able to check check the box that no license was provided.  That should get rid of the Federal error to e-file the return.

Is it not behaving that way?

DTNY07
Level 7

It is mandatory for Alabama.   Even on the IRS return.  That's what it says on the ID verification sheet.

I don't have any clients in Alabama though, so never have had to try it.

0 Cheers
JOHNNYCPA1
Level 2

just curious, does the client get the federal refund faster if you enter the drivers license information? 

thanks,

John

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@JOHNNYCPA1 wrote:

just curious, does the client get the federal refund faster if you enter the drivers license information? 

No.  Although Federal requires a 'response' (such as client did not provide license), Federal does not currently "use" the license information in any way for processing the tax return.  I suspect that may change in the future, but that is how it is currently works.

mphillips1994
Level 3

No it's not.  I opted to paper file the state return but the federal was still showing errors. It turns out she does have a driver's license now that she is in Alabama even though she is legally blind.  It worked out but it would be nice to know what options there would be later. Thank you for your help. 

0 Cheers
mphillips1994
Level 3

Not that I know of.  It is just mandatory in Alabama to show  a driver's license or state id.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you delete that worksheet and regenerate it (then only check the 'no license provided'), that will usually get rid of any errors

mphillips1994
Level 3

Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers