Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 for Care Giver

yeknod
Level 3

TP had caregivers go to a nursing home and stay with her dad to keep him company.  Should they receive a 1099-M thru the estate ID# or her dads SS#?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ernie
Level 9

Who paid them the money?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Ernie
Level 9

Who paid them the money?

0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Caregiver providing personal services to dad - he should be the payor (and get the medical deduction).  IF funds came out of estate funds, perhaps that should be treated as a distribution from Estate to Dad followed by payment from dad to caregiver
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
He is in a nursing home and they are paying someone to "keep him company" while he is there.  Is keeping someone company a medical deduction?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
If the caregiver 1) monitors dad to call for help when needed; 2) assists in potty; 3) assists with mobility / wheelchair driving;  4) feeding / drinking; 5) reads to him because he cannot; + other daily activities he is unable to do for himself, then maybe it's qualified medical expense.  I forgot - does private caregiver in the nursing home need to be licensed?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But isn’t most of that covered by the nursing home charges?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
doesn't sounds like a medical necessity, but a personal preference to have someone there to keep him company.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Sched A> Med Expense Wkst, line 6 >about line 6>  "(2) medical expenses or personal care services required by a chronically ill individual as prescribed...."  Dr letter should work fine.
My mom is in an expensive assisted living place; she likes to stay in her room, so she gets no attention from staff other than at meals.  We have a helper hired to stay with her and do the daily activities mom cannot do on her own: Transfer from bed to chair; Toilet; prod her to eat and drink more; socialize, etc.  Left alone, mom would stay in bed and never get up or eat / drink.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Been there, done that. They were called Companions. Couldn't feed, just encourage eating. Did nothing but talk and keep company. I wouldn't consider them healthcare.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Businesses issue 1099-MISCs, not individuals.  Neither dad or the estate need to issue a 1099-MISC.

0 Cheers