Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I enter into the Asset Entry worksheet for an asset that I have abandoned, trashed. Do I enter the disposition date and zero as the sales price?

CEB
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

off the top of my head i would say enter in the date disposed without a sales price and that should eliminate an asset thats been abandoned. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

off the top of my head i would say enter in the date disposed without a sales price and that should eliminate an asset thats been abandoned. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But if it is abandoned/trashed, I think we want to enter a zero sales price.  I think the "without a sales price" thingy only gets used when we stop depreciating an asset but our bony fingers are still clenched to the asset.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
CEB
Level 1
The assets have actually been placed in the dumpster.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You sold it to the dumpster for $0.00.  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
CEB
Level 1
I see your point.
0 Cheers
CEB
Level 1
When I enter a $0.00 sale price the transaction gets carried over to Form 4797.  Form 4797 is for the "Sale of Business Property".
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Yup, you sold it for $0.00.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Thats why I would put no sales price. You could do as @IRonMaN suggested but as you stated, thats what will happen.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But if the asset has any remaining basis, you want to report a disposition on the 4797 to write off the remaining basis.  If there isn't any remaining basis, it really doesn't matter.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I agree with you there, bud. I took the OP's statement as there was nothing left of asset. But I fully agree with you re: basis.
0 Cheers
CEB
Level 1
These comments were all very helpful.  Thank you.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers