Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business rental property in service for 5 years was demolished in 2018. To dispose, can the sale price be $0? Goal is to use the passive loss on taxes.

jonhan0531
Level 1

Is there another way to dispose of a business rental property that was demolished besides indicating it was a "Sale"? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm not sure "demolished" counts as "disposed of in a fully taxable transaction".  Isn't there still land?  What's happening with the land?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm not sure "demolished" counts as "disposed of in a fully taxable transaction".  Isn't there still land?  What's happening with the land?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I believe the default tax treatment for demolition would be to capitalize the adjusted basis of the demolished structure to land, which is not ideal and probably not the answer your client is looking for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers