Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business expenses paid with EIDL loan are they still deductible?

onestop73
Level 3

Going in circles with the EIDL loans. Want to get clarity on my understanding of the Cares Act on the EIDL loans and the expenses paid with it. My understanding is that the amount received as EIDL (assuming it is going to be repaid back as a loan); is not considered taxable (excluded from Gross Income); however, the business expenses paid with it may still be deductible? (May show as a huge loss for the year in some cases). 

This is coming from the Covid-Related Tax Relief Act of 2020: am I understanding it correctly?

Sec. 8. Clarification of tax treatment of certain loan forgiveness and other business
financial assistance under the coronavirus relief legislation. The provision clarifies that
gross income does not include forgiveness of certain loans, emergency EIDL grants, and certain
loan repayment assistance, each as provided by the CARES Act. The provision also clarifies that
deductions are allowed for otherwise deductible expenses paid with the amounts not included in
income by this section, and that tax basis and other attributes will not be reduced as a result of
those amounts being excluded from gross income. The provision is effective for tax years ending
after date of enactment of the CARES Act. The provision provides similar treatment for Targeted
EIDL advances and Grants for Shuttered Venue Operators, effective for tax years ending after the
date of enactment of the provision.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

I just read your title and not the rest of the lengthy post - yes they are deductible for federal.  Your state may have different rules though so you need to check them out.

Slava Ukraini!
onestop73
Level 3

Thank you for the reply, and I may need those acme tires, if it guarantees I catch the Road Runner.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Nothing with the name ACME helps with roadrunners———- trust me about that one🙁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers