Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business equipment repossessed time frame.

ritastone001
Level 5

Have a client who purchased equipment in January. In August he did a voluntary return. It is a recourse loan. I am told he hasn't heard from the lender since the equipment was resold other than to let him know he still owes approx 15K. When is this entered on the tax return? Shouldn't he have received a 1099-C or something similar from the lender? At that point would it be handled?  For some reason, this isn't clear to me. This grey blonde is having a moment. Would appreciate someone remind me what I am forgetting. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
PATAX
Level 15

Hi Rita , maybe he has not received a 1099-C because the lender told him he still owes $15,000 so apparently the debt has not been canceled or forgiven .. Just my opinion

ritastone001
Level 5

/Thanks for responding. So do we wait to report it on the return until he receives one? This is where I am not understanding the path to do it correctly.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

In my opinion it appears as of now it is still a debt, and when the debt is Forgiven then it will be income... If you pick it up in 2020 as debt forgiveness income then what will you do if it is Forgiven in 2021 and then a 2021 1099-C is issued... and who knows maybe your client may come up on some money and pay that $15,000 debt off maybe.. Just my opinion

ritastone001
Level 5

Yes that makes sense. Depreciation allowable on 2020 return?  That's enough. Going to take a break. Thank you for taking the time to answer me. 

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome... We have to try to help each other since this profession is not getting any easier...

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

Oh I agree with you 100%.  Thanks again.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ritastone001 wrote:

Depreciation allowable on 2020 return? 

There is no depreciation for an asset that is "placed in service" and then taken out of service in the same year.

ritastone001
Level 5

You are right of course. I don't know why this has thrown my reasoning skills. Here is the actual case and if someone would help me I will appreciate it. Equipment bought Jan 2020. Paid 67000 total. Paid 7000 down and financed 60000, Returned it in August. Recourse loan.  Lender has resold and now the balance due is $15000. Do I show this as a sale on 4797?   And then if there is a 1099C next year that is handled then. 

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

I am actually leaving for a while. Maybe later this will make sense to me.

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

I want to thank you again for your response and patience on this question. Yesterdays confusion has cleared up. 

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

Just want to say thank you again for your patience concerning this questions yesterday. My confusion has cleared up today.  

0 Cheers