Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus depreciation residential rental property

Liesal
Level 4

Taxpayer buys residence 2019 for 300 k and in years 19 20 21 does major improvements to interior like remodels bathrooms , laundry , no space was added but just upgrades to ..be more luxurious... In mid 2022 taxpayer converts property to rental and wants to bonus the improvements for the upgrades.

I see these upgrades as 27.5 property made in a prior year.

AM i missing something that would enable tp to expense these in current tax year?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If they are items separate from the building, like appliances or carpeting, yes, you can use Bonus on the LOWER of (a) the cost and (b) the Fair Market Value when they first became available for use in the rental.

But prior improvements to the building are all part of the building, which is depreciated over 27.5 years, starting when the building becomes available for rent.

taxes96786
Level 9

If I remember correctly the bonus has to be taken the year the item was put into service. I don't use bonus depreciation unless it will lower the tax liability...why waste it.

0 Cheers