Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to file multiple years of returns

acagwinsc
Level 2

I have a client that needs to file returns for 2011-2018.  I plan to send paper returns since I can't efile the early ones.  My question is what is the best way to handle his tax owed/refunds?  In 2011 and 2012 he owes tax, from 2013 - 2018 he is due refunds.  I'm hoping that his refunds wipe out the tax/penalty/interest from 2011/2012.  Is there a way to send them that will spark the IRS/State of Illinois to process them together or will they all be process separate and spark a mass of notices?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poolcleaner
Level 9

It goes against what I have always done with a series of late returns which is to file the newest return first and work backwards but in this case, I would file the older ones first so the taxes can be assessed and then have the newer ones reduce the tax and penalties.  You are too late for 2013 and 2014 refunds. 2015 will depend on whether or not there was an extension filed. I believe there will be a flurry of letters no matter what the order of filing them is.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
poolcleaner
Level 9

It goes against what I have always done with a series of late returns which is to file the newest return first and work backwards but in this case, I would file the older ones first so the taxes can be assessed and then have the newer ones reduce the tax and penalties.  You are too late for 2013 and 2014 refunds. 2015 will depend on whether or not there was an extension filed. I believe there will be a flurry of letters no matter what the order of filing them is.

0 Cheers
acagwinsc
Level 2
Follow up to this, if they owed for 2012 and have refunds in the following years that cover that, is it ok NOT to send a check with the return and let the IRS assess and net the years?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Yes. But 2013 , 2014, and probably 2015 won't be in the net.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers