Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability of form 8915-E

Franchesca
Level 2

A client made a 401k Coronavirus-related distribution in 2020. I was trying to waive the 10% additional tax on the distribution, however, ProSeries indicates that form 8915-E is not yet available. Do you know when the form will be available for downloading? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Camp1040
Level 10

I know, because I have asked that question. Update your program and the 8915-E is e-fillable ready. You have to mark the correct box on the 1099-R and you still need to complete the 5329 form to waive the penalty.

Franchesca
Level 2

Thank you. ProSeries is waiving the penalty already. Schedule 2 line 6 indicates that form 5329 is not required. What part of form 5329 needs to be completed?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Line 2 with a code 12

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

well....i'm dense I guess.   on the 8915E part 1 (where it says check this box if Coronavirus)...it says it is auto calculated...but mine is blank...and conversely, the 8915E doesn't print with return.  the 5329 has code 12 on line 2, and the amount as not being subject to the 10% penalty, but there must be some step i'm ignoring.....??

and then, when i think i may have it figured out, it only brings 1/3 down to the taxable amount...and they want to pay all the tax now....it's only a $6,000 distributiion

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I use basic, I check the boxes on the 1099-R, then I check the box on 8915-E, to not spread out over 3 years, then I verify 5329 populates, it has worked 3 times today for me and the form has printed.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

DUH  "check the box on 8915-E, to not spread out over 3 years"  pretty simple solution.... Thanks so much!!

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.