Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Import of ATB program crashing and corrupting Proseries 2022

Julio354
Level 3

Accountant's Trial Balance has been crashing and corrupting corporate tax return files such as 1065 and 1120S in the 2022 Proseries programs and the only way to get them back to working order is deleting and re-rolling the prior year file.  We tried poaching it from a backup of a day prior on our server but apparently if you have the auto-import function checked, you are doomed from the start after the first time it happens. We've been calling Proseries to address this issue and so far no new updates to patch this error up.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a workaround?  This can be catastrophic for big jobs that require several reimports and other manual inputs on state returns or if Fixed asset manager is tied to the returns.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Rubric: -5 points for jokes about how old ATB is.

-5 points for saying to stop using ATB.

Everyone starts with an A!

59 Comments 59
dascpa
Level 11

Not your answer but this is why we don't use

Scan and import, Link, preparer e-pay, hosted software, trial balance import, etc.  All of these add-ons seem to fail more than they work.  Sometimes regular data entry is faster and more reliable.

0 Cheers
jhowellcpa
Level 3

Having the same issue...so frustrating!

What changed in the past 4 days that caused this issue?

Julio354
Level 3

Apparently a lot of others have called in and reported this so hopefully it will be patched literally by tomorrow as many firms still have extensions to file.

jhowellcpa
Level 3

I hope so. When we called earlier today we were told they were aware of one other report of this problem. So I was glad to see your message as well. Terrible timing this close to the deadline.

jhowellcpa
Level 3

Hey Julio354 - any news on this?

0 Cheers
Julio354
Level 3

Hi, thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, no dice on our end from Proseries. More posts about this have been popping up if you haven't seen this on yet:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-idea-exchange/fix-the-trial-balance-setup-link...

0 Cheers
jhowellcpa
Level 3

I hadn't seen that. Thank you for passing it along. 

0 Cheers
IntuitLisaI
Level 3

Hi thanks for bringing this up, we're looking into this and will report back with any news, have you tried unchecking the box to "Update Automatically" so that it will will stop this from happening until a update is released? When the update is released, you will need to go back and check the "Update Automatically" again. 

0 Cheers
Julio354
Level 3

Thanks for the info.  Yes, as long as the client file did not corrupt in the first place, we were able to open it and able to unclick the "Update Automatically" box.  However as a precaution, we had to have the matching client ATB program file open so that it would prevent the Proseries file from automatically importing the ATB numbers and potentially crashing the file.  We managed to uncheck the remainder of our uncorrupted files with this method.

0 Cheers
tnortoncpa
Level 3

Any update on this problem?

Julio354
Level 3

The world is resting on Intuit's shoulders, @IntuitLisaI.

No pressure or anything. 🤣

sonnypsu
Level 3

I don't understand why the fix hasn't been found yet.  It literally stopped work 1-2 weeks ago.  Go back and see what changed in that time frame.  We can not work for 2 weeks now.

Rowtax1
Level 3

The trial balance import is really hosed this year....

I used to make a copy of the prior trial balance, go into the new trial balance, close the year and then enter data into the new year trial balance and go into proseries client, and point to the new trial balance, but that now freezes up the program...Badly....but as a work around, I don't change where the trial balance is imported from....I continue to use the same trial balance (ATBWU) and simply close that year, enter in the new data and import from there.. A couple of times, I found I had made an error on my journal entries and when I tried to re-import, it locked up again....So, I simply re-transferred the proseries client file from 2021 into 2022 and then imported the trial balance again...So...that worked for me....So, I am still using ATBWU.

Let me know by responding if that works for you.

0 Cheers
tnortoncpa
Level 3

I was able to delete the trial balance information and then import one time and relink all accounts.  If I import a second time for change to the ATB, the file crashes.  The issue with rolling files from 21 to 22 again, is we lose efiling tracking of extensions.  Proseries needs to fix this ASAP!

Rowtax1
Level 3

Yes..I print the confirmation of the Extension....Intuit can also always confirm that after the fact...Do it anyway so you can move forward.

0 Cheers
Rowtax1
Level 3

Plus, I dont think you should delete the trial balance links....Just notice that when you are in that business return and go look at the import trial balance screen that it is still pointed at the trial balance that it was pointed at for 2021...so, use that same one for 2022...but first go into the trial balance and close the year, make your journal entries and then leave the trial balance, go into proseries and then CTRL-L and import it into 2022....Try that 

0 Cheers
Julio354
Level 3

@Rowtax1 Thanks.  Yes we pretty much operate the same way with copying ATB file year after year.  When one of my files crashed for the first time last week, I did just what you did: take the last year and roll it forward again and relink.  And then after relinking, I did not click the automatic import box.  Will have to hold off until the glitch is patched before I check that box again.

One way we have salvaged a corrupted file is by having our IT person copy that uncorrupted file from before the time window that these crashes started happening and send it to us.  From that point, take that file (example YOURCLIENTNAME.22C)  and drag it to your desktop and then change the file name by adding something extra at the end before the file extension.   Then go back to the proseries and then under Client maintenance, click Restore and find that renamed file and restore it to your client base.  That should result now in having a duplicate client file.  We kept the corrupted file because it already has the Efile status and acknowledgements (not sure if really matters because hell will freeze over before any of those files open up, but it gives our managing partners peace and tranquility). 

Now, before you open the new second file, you have to go to where you keep your ATB copies and take the file that is usually imported from and make a copy of the folder containing all of the nuts and bolts.  Make sure that you change the new folder name to something else after you make the copy.  Once you have done that, you can delete the original ATB folder that you made the copy of.   By doing this, you have essentially severed the link that the automatic reimport function triggers every time the file is opened. 

Ok, now you may open the new proseries file you just restored and you will be greeted by a different, but proper, error message this time saying the Trial Balance import could not be located.  However, the file will open and you'll have access once again!  I'd recommend immediately to uncheck the automatic import function at this point.  Final step is that you may now rename your copied ATB folder back to whatever your usual naming convention was.  You'll have to wait until proseries updates the software for the glitch to relink.

I know this seemed like a tall order, anyone can easily just do what you and I did in the first paragraph, but this was very helpful for jobs that were materially finished, including fixed asset manager imports, manual state return adjustments, depreciation adjustments (including those pesky section 179 manual state overrides) the list goes on.

Anyone else who reads this and tries it, let me know if you managed to salvage your files.

thanks.

Rowtax1
Level 3

Remember, you can always prevent the re-importation of the ATB trial balance by having the ATB client trial balance open....the weakness of using the same ATB, or ATBWU file on both 2021 and 2022 is that if you have to go open up the 2021 proseries file, it will then import , but it will be the 2022 data...but, you can prevent that by having the ATB or ATBWU trial balance for that client OPEN...that will prevent the importation.

0 Cheers
tnortoncpa
Level 3

I am using Workpaper CS a Thompson Reuters product.  The file will still import as long as it was first exported from the trial balance software and Proseries is pointing to that file. 

Rowtax1
Level 3

tenkeyatb.com....it's a windows program that is the same format at ATB or ATBWU....so, some have responded to my complaints about trial balance import being broken this year by saying "Oh...that program is so old, you shouldn't expect them to continue to support the import"   Well...bullcrap...here is a modern company recreating ATB and ATBWU with the same file format, so, once again, there is a menu item for trial balance import and therefore it should work.  But doesn't.

sonnypsu
Level 3

Same issue for us.  Workpapers CS.  1st export no issues.  Make a change in WPCS and export again and that's when ProSeries freezes up and corrupts the tax file.  No longer workable file even if you delete the TB .txt file.  Open the tax file and uncheck the automatic update box but the tax file will not save.  Pops up a 10250 error.  Basically killing that file and any work done in it.

Its a .txt file.  This really shouldn't be this big of an issue spanning over multiple Trial Balance programs.

Rowtax1
Level 3

USER      IntuitGabiU
‎01-20-2023 11:34 AM
Thanks for the information @Rowtax
We're investigating this.

That was a response by presumably a programmer on Jan 20, 2023....gave me hope...but no joy...Here we are in March and no progress.

sonnypsu
Level 3

We can just manually enter everything...pppppfffffff!!!!!

Have had zero interest in moving over to UltraTax even though we us Workpapers CS.  Have always been happy with ProSeries for the 25 years I've used it.  This is the first year we're going to seriously consider moving on from it.

Rowtax1
Level 3

I know what you mean....This is my 34th year as a CPA...Don't want to move to another program and don't want to buy another trial balance program....Dang Intuit is doing a piss poor job this year.

tnortoncpa
Level 3

Agree, this is the last straw for us with Proseries...

jhowellcpa
Level 3

Agreed. Can't have a software stop working a week before deadline. What a slap in the face to your loyal long time customers. Certainly there is another working software company that wants my money...

jhowellcpa
Level 3

Yeah, 25 years here. Why leave us out to twist in the wind with no resolution and no communication that the problem is going to be resolved...too busy competing against us with Turbo Tax and QuickBooks, I guess...

jhowellcpa
Level 3

We are moving after this fisaco. I don't care what Ultratax costs. I am done with ProSeries.

tnortoncpa
Level 3

Spoke with Proseries regarding the unresolved issue, they informed me that no fix would be pushed out until 4/17.  See their response below.

Work around confirmation "Unchecking the box to "Update Automatically" will stop this from happening until a update is released. After unchecking the "Update Automatically" you will not be able to change the Basis until the update is released. Because the deadline is 4 weeks away all Engine updates are on freeze. The current time line for this update is the Week of 4/17."

Proseries "work around" is uncheck the box and simply don't finish the tax returns.  I was told to file extensions.

This is completely unacceptable!

Rowtax1
Level 3

Look....you can deal with this without just waiting for the 4/17 update....Just try to import one time...You get that one time without corruption.  So, before you import, make sure that you have ATB or ATBWU correct.

So...to recap....Usually, we make a copy of the ATB or ATBWU file, then go into that new file and close the year on the new file....But, since we can't change where the import ATB is pointed at, we now go into the same ATB or ATBWU we used in 2021, and now we just close that file, so we can enter 2022 data. 

Then, we now import from there...that works.

But, again, this morning, I had a change to make in the ATB or ATBWU file..(the clients Qbooks were screwed up, and I just got new data now that it is fixed, so I had to make changes to the ATBWU journal entries)....that resulted in a re-import and the whole program locked up.

So, I transferred the 2021 proseries over into 2022 proseries, overwriting it.  Yes...I lost the extension, but who cares...I know it was extended and Intuit can confirm that if needed. I doubt it would be needed.

Then, I performed the trial balance import from my now fixed ATB or ATBWU file into the new 2022 Proseries...Yes...I did have to go do some stuff again on the info page, but, it is done now. 

0 Cheers
sonnypsu
Level 3

Wow!  Do they realize that most of these corporate clients we prepare returns for we also prepare the shareholders. owners personal returns?  This will only push those returns out past the 4/18 due date.

Will ProSeries call my clients to tell them that they can't get their K-1s until after 4/17?  Will they refund us a portion of the costs of the program since it doesn't work properly and is costing me more time to complete the returns and delay billing my clients?

Obviously the answers are no.

I'm using the work around to prepare the returns.  It's doubling the time it takes me to prepare the return if I have to make changes to the trial balance that aren't easily manually changed.  4 of the corrupted returns I was able to delete all the TB links and get them save and prepared them again.  Able to finalize them but at the cost of more time that I can't justify to pass along to the client since it wasn't them that caused the extra time.

ProSeries has basically become a 1040 program.

tnortoncpa
Level 3

NOT waiting until 4/17 for Proseries to fix their software.  With the amount we all have invested in this software it should work as intended and I shouldn't have to use a "work around"!

Do your job Proseries!

Rowtax1
Level 3

@sonnypsu    stop deleting you ATB links...your doing it the hard way...If you get a program lockup, just transfer the proseries 2021 data over into 2022 proseries, overwriting the now corrupted 2022 proseries file..  Then import the ATB or ATBWU into the 2022 Proseries...You get one shot...make sure your ATB or ATBWU is correct before importing...

jhowellcpa
Level 3

Hell yeah, brother!

This is BS!

IntuitGabi

This is looking to be addressed in an upcoming or recent update. 
If you continue to experience import issues, please share on this thread. 

0 Cheers
Rowtax1
Level 3

You still cannot point the import to a new file....at least for Accountant Trial Balance Write Up.

glennjjccpa
Level 2

Any updates on this???

Rowtax1
Level 3

Nope...If I have to make a change, say, because gross sales also contains the interest income, so I need to go make an journal entry and re-import...then the proseries does not seem to let me import that.

So, I have taken to re-transfering the 2021 proseries file back into the 2022 proseries program, and then, importing the updated ATBWU file.

Sucks...but way to busy to moan about it right now.

I guess the programmers have all quit.

GCAZ
Level 2

Having the same problem.  For now after I do the first import I uncheck the auto update box and any later adjusted enter them manually in ProSeries. For linked accounts I check the supporting schedule box and add the adjustments as needed.  Hope they get this fixed soon!

tnortoncpa
Level 3

We are using the same procedure, import one time and then make manual adjustments using supplemental statements with the description "Proseries Sucks" !

tnortoncpa
Level 3

Where is the update??

glennjjccpa
Level 2

For the amount of money we spend on ProSeries, this is unacceptable. How is this not fixed yet?

sonnypsu
Level 3

CS UltraTax reached out to us today to see if we were interest in switching.  They must be aware of the **bleep** show going on with ProSeries and the TB import error.  4 weeks and counting on no update to fix it.

tnortoncpa
Level 3

We use their trial balance software already and will be switching to Ultra Tax as well. 

jhowellcpa
Level 3

Hell yeah, brother. This is BS!

glennjjccpa
Level 2

Where is this update??? It blows my mind how much Proseries has butchered this tax season.

Rowtax1
Level 3

Me too !!!

Had to do a concrete company business return...lot's of new equipment, sale of a bunch of equip.  Took me 4 times as long having the program lock up. Had to re-transfer the file a number of times.  Was very frustrating.

glennjjccpa
Level 2

We have an office pool at work to try to guess the actual date that ProSeries will finally fix this issue. Since this is an EXTREMELY important update that we've needed for A MONTH NOW, my guess is that we don't see this update until April 19th (the day after tax season ends). That would be vintage ProSeries.

jhowellcpa
Level 3

I would like the option of posting a thumbs down to this post from the intuit minon who gave us false hope.