Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Debit Payments

goflo-overflow
Level 2

So the IRS has finally stated that Taxpayers who owe tax will not incur penalties/interest through July 15th (IRS Notice 2020-17); what about Taxpayers who have already filed their tax returns and have scheduled auto debit payments for April 15th?  I've had several clients contact me and they now don't want to pay until July 15th.  Is there any way to delay the payments to July 15th?  Should I advise my Taxpayer to under-fund their auto debit account so that the IRS can only get a partial payment?  What can we do to help our Taxpayers?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffrey
Level 5

Additionally, Pro Series software will not accept an auto debit date of 7/15/2020. It errors out.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
jeffrey
Level 5

Additionally, Pro Series software will not accept an auto debit date of 7/15/2020. It errors out.

0 Cheers
goflo-overflow
Level 2

I just found the following under another post and it will work for my needs.  I called the number on the IRS website and was able to CANCEL the April 15th payment of my Taxpayer.  I will now send my Taxpayer a payment voucher and set up 'delayed' email reminders as July 15th nears.  Ultimately it will be up to the Taxpayer to make sure the payment(s) are made.

Here's the post I found:
  Can I cancel an Auto Debit payment:
  Yes, by calling the various agencies.
  https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal#errors
  You can google YOUR state all by yourself.
  And you'll have to make sure the payments get made some other way...