Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a non paid preparer why do I get an error message requiring Form 8867?

mmbtaxes
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ernie
Level 9

If you prepared the form, paid or not, it is your responsibility to assure it is filled accurately.  If not the fine starts at $500 per occurrence and can be assessed on both the preparer and the owner so they can actually assess you with a $1,000 fine for each one that is done falsely.

I am not saying you are doing anything wrong just explaining how it all works.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Ernie
Level 9

If you prepared the form, paid or not, it is your responsibility to assure it is filled accurately.  If not the fine starts at $500 per occurrence and can be assessed on both the preparer and the owner so they can actually assess you with a $1,000 fine for each one that is done falsely.

I am not saying you are doing anything wrong just explaining how it all works.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15
That is not what the Instructions say.
https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8867#idm140680691948016

I suspect it may be a program error if it is requiring that.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Either sign as a paid preparer or file the return by paper.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to fix the program to accommodate something for a non paid or self prepared return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

You should not be preparing the 8867, as TaxGuyBill stated, but if you are a paid preparer for other returns using ProSeries, and listed as one under your ERO's Firm's info, I'm not sure how you would accomplish both. 

Also, if other returns are required to be e-filed by the ERO, you must also file the 8948 explaining why you are paper filing that one. If you are doing a favor for someone, they should be able to provide the documents for Due Diligence so you can prepare the 8867. You don't get a pass on Due Diligence if you're a paid preparer on other returns under the same ERO and you choose to do one for free. That's my understanding, based on Cir.230.

If the client can not provide what you need for Due Diligence, walk away.

0 Cheers