Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

as a non paid non registered NY preparer, what is NY exclusion code?

1Poormanswife
Level 2

how to efile as a non paid non registered  preparer

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Camp1040
Level 10

You have to apply for a NYS preparer registration ID number NYPRIN. You can apply and get it the same day on line. Then mark the return as non paid preparer. You can't use professional software and file without registration for NYS.

If you are a volunteer use code 9 exclusion.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you checked the NY instructions?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
1Poormanswife
Level 2

of course, or i wouldnt be asking

0 Cheers
1Poormanswife
Level 2

sorry,

I'm very frustrated with new proogram.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

You have to apply for a NYS preparer registration ID number NYPRIN. You can apply and get it the same day on line. Then mark the return as non paid preparer. You can't use professional software and file without registration for NYS.

If you are a volunteer use code 9 exclusion.

GodFather
Level 8

Just verifying, has something changed since last year?  I do a handful of NY returns and had no issues with them being e-filed last year.  

Camp1040
Level 10

A New York tax preparer must have a New York tax preparer registration identification number (NYTPRIN) or qualify for an exclusion from the requirement. Either the NYTPRIN or the NY exclusion code must be entered  when file a NY return on the information worksheet. Information about NY preparer registration is available from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance web site New York State Tax Preparer Registration.

If you are paid to prepare less than 10 NYS returns you do not have to pay the $100 commercial preparer fee. If you are paid to prepare at least one NYS return you need to register for the NYTPRIN. 

The NYS tax form asks for your NYTPRIN even if you are filing as a non-paid preparer. Without that number it will generate an error and not efile.

GodFather
Level 8

Thanks, Camp 1040.  Has this been implemented since last tax season?

Camp1040
Level 10

No, I file approxitmaterly 15 NYS tax returns, but less than 10 are as paid preparer (family members) I have had to have the number since the PTIN program came about. NYS will charge a $50 fine for every return filed with out a NYTPRIN or and exclusion code. Here are the exemptions

Are you one of the following?

• Attorney
  • CPA (certified public accountant)
  • PA (public accountant)
  • Enrolled Agent
  • Volunteer tax preparer
  • Employee of an attorney
  • Employee of a CPA
  • Employee of a PA
  • Employee of an enrolled agent
  • Employee of a business who prepares that business’ tax returns

If you are one of the licensed professionals or other individuals listed above, you are NOT required to register as a tax return preparer and are NOT required to take Continuing Education courses.

1Poormanswife
Level 2

thank you 

I had applied for regiistration but was told i did not have to.

Retiring and just doing family now and using a new program.

thanks again---karen

Level 1

Where do I apply for NYPRIN CODE?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

See the link above in one of Camp1040s posts

Or a Google search should turn it up quickly.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers