Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter a Gofundme contribution on the Part XV 990

mkwht7
Level 1

The cahrity donated to help a private person through facebook and go fund me. I need to enter it as a gift on Part XV because it is a significant amount to the charity. So, do I just put the individual's name and address? Do I enter Go Fund me in the column "...show relationship to foundation manager or substantial contributor"? or something else?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Enter the individual's name and address

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15
Interesting question. Maybe @sjrcpa or @PhoebeRoberts could help with some guidance.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Enter the individual's name and address

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

990 only goes up to Part XII.

Do you mean 990PF?

If so, please also rephrase the question/add more detail. Who gave what to whom?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
mkwht7
Level 1
I do mean the 990PF. The organization gave $1000 to an individual with a specific need for a service dog through the fund Me. So am I entering the individuals name or am I entering Go fund me in Part XV. I realized that the column "...show relationship to foundation manager or susbstantial contributor." is not relevant in this specific case.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you certain you didn't just describe Directed or Targeted Giving (restricted funds as income for the charity) and then Direct Support to (an) Individual(s)? Your charity doesn't have Gifting. It has Programs and Purposes and expenses for operations.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
mkwht7
Level 1
Thanks for responding. My understanding of Directed or Targeted Giving is that the restriction comes from the Donor and that is not the case with this Charity. They are a private foundation and the decision where the money goes is made by the organization. On the 990PF, Part 1 Line 25 is listed as Contributions, Gifts, and Grants which is where the amount is placed. I will take another look at it.  Thanks
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This is confusing: "My understanding of Directed or Targeted Giving is that the restriction comes from the Donor and that is not the case with this Charity"

Because what you told us is exactly "targeted and restricted: "The cahrity donated to help a private person through facebook and go fund me."

You told us about a specific campaign; if I am responding as a donor to a targeted campaign to raise funds for that person to get a service dog, that is me responding for a Targeted and restricted purpose, by definition. I would be donating to your charity, for only this one purpose, and then you use the funds raised in support of that one purpose.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers